Pathways Through Proverbs
May 2, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 2
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
- So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
- Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
- If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
- Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.
- For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.
- He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly.
- He keepeth the paths of judgment, and preserveth the way of his saints.
- Then shalt thou understand righteousness, and judgment, and equity; yea, every good path.
- When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul;
- Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee:
- To deliver thee from the way of the evil man, from the man that speaketh froward things;
- Who leave the paths of uprightness, to walk in the ways of darkness;
- Who rejoice to do evil, and delight in the frowardness of the wicked;
- Whose ways are crooked, and they froward in their paths:
- To deliver thee from the strange woman, even from the stranger which flattereth with her words;
- Which forsaketh the guide of her youth, and forgetteth the covenant of her God.
- For her house inclineth unto death, and her paths unto the dead.
- None that go unto her return again, neither take they hold of the paths of life.
- That thou mayest walk in the way of good men, and keep the paths of the righteous.
- For the upright shall dwell in the land, and the perfect shall remain in it.
- But the wicked shall be cut off from the earth, and the transgressors shall be rooted out of it.
Back to Top
Over the past four months we have seen Solomon building to today's verse. He has challenged his son in the previous four verses that understanding God and achieving Biblical wisdom do not just happen. There are steps that must be taken. The words of God must be received, memorized, and meditated on. The man who desires knowledge must work at getting it. He needs to cry out after it because it is so very important to him, and he must seek after it as he would a valuable treasure. When this happens, then, and only then, will he begin to understand the wisdom that God wants to make available to him.
You may click on verses for Scripture
People need to comprehend the fear of the Lord and the knowledge of God. We live in a society that does not fear God, and that probably can be blamed on the fact that most Christians do not fear God. If we feared Him, we wouldn't be so lackadaisical about our service and faithfulness to Him. We wouldn't be so flippant about our sins and so unconcerned about our lifestyle. We need to understand the fear of the Lord if we are going to accomplish anything in this life that really matters.
In addition, we must have the knowledge of God. In Hosea 4:6 God states,
"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge."
Paul writes that many people never come to God for salvation because they are ignorant of God's righteousness, and thus attempt to "establish their own righteousness" (Rom. 10:3) apart from Christ. We must know about God if we are going to have a proper relationship with Him. We can not create a god of our choosing; we must learn about the God Who already Is.
Do you really know the Lord? Do you fear Him? You need to, and you can if you will have the yearning and take the time to do so.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery