March 14, 2007
Click above for full KJV Online
Thought for the day:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Following Scripture Verses
Click above to go directly to TFD
- Now these are the kings of the land, which the children of Israel smote, and possessed their land on the other side Jordan toward the rising of the sun, from the river Arnon unto mount Hermon, and all the plain on the east:
- Sihon king of the Amorites, who dwelt in Heshbon, and ruled from Aroer, which is upon the bank of the river Arnon, and from the middle of the river, and from half Gilead, even unto the river Jabbok, which is the border of the children of Ammon;
- And from the plain to the sea of Chinneroth on the east, and unto the sea of the plain, even the salt sea on the east, the way to Beth-jeshimoth; and from the south, under Ashdoth-pisgah:
- And the coast of Og king of Bashan, which was of the remnant of the giants, that dwelt at Ashtaroth and at Edrei,
- And reigned in mount Hermon, and in Salcah, and in all Bashan, unto the border of the Geshurites and the Maachathites, and half Gilead, the border of Sihon king of Heshbon.
- Them did Moses the servant of the LORD and the children of Israel smite: and Moses the servant of the LORD gave it for a possession unto the Reubenites, and the Gadites, and the half tribe of Manasseh.
- And these are the kings of the country which Joshua and the children of Israel smote on this side Jordan on the west, from Baal-gad in the valley of Lebanon even unto the mount Halak, that goeth up to Seir; which Joshua gave unto the tribes of Israel for a possession according to their divisions;
- In the mountains, and in the valleys, and in the plains, and in the springs, and in the wilderness, and in the south country; the Hittites, the Amorites, and the Canaanites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites:
- The king of Jericho, one; the king of Ai, which is beside Bethel, one;
- The king of Jerusalem, one; the king of Hebron, one;
- The king of Jarmuth, one; the king of Lachish, one;
- The king of Eglon, one; the king of Gezer, one;
- The king of Debir, one; the king of Geder, one;
- The king of Hormah, one; the king of Arad, one;
- The king of Libnah, one; the king of Adullam, one;
- The king of Makkedah, one; the king of Bethel, one;
- The king of Tappuah, one; the king of Hepher, one;
- The king of Aphek, one; the king of Lasharon, one;
- The king of Madon, one; the king of Hazor, one;
- The king of Shimron-meron, one; the king of Achshaph, one;
- The king of Taanach, one; the king of Megiddo, one;
- The king of Kedesh, one; the king of Jokneam of Carmel, one;
- The king of Dor in the coast of Dor, one; the king of the nations of Gilgal, one;
- The king of Tirzah, one: all the kings thirty and one.
Back to Top
- Now Joshua was old and stricken in years; and the LORD said unto him, Thou art old and stricken in years, and there remaineth yet very much land to be possessed.
- This is the land that yet remaineth: all the borders of the Philistines, and all Geshuri,
- From Sihor, which is before Egypt, even unto the borders of Ekron northward, which is counted to the Canaanite: five lords of the Philistines; the Gazathites, and the Ashdothites, the Eshkalonites, the Gittites, and the Ekronites; also the Avites:
- From the south, all the land of the Canaanites, and Mearah that is beside the Sidonians, unto Aphek, to the borders of the Amorites:
- And the land of the Giblites, and all Lebanon, toward the sunrising, from Baal-gad under mount Hermon unto the entering into Hamath.
- All the inhabitants of the hill country from Lebanon unto Misrephoth-maim, and all the Sidonians, them will I drive out from before the children of Israel: only divide thou it by lot unto the Israelites for an inheritance, as I have commanded thee.
- Now therefore divide this land for an inheritance unto the nine tribes, and the half tribe of Manasseh,
- With whom the Reubenites and the Gadites have received their inheritance, which Moses gave them, beyond Jordan eastward, even as Moses the servant of the LORD gave them;
- From Aroer, that is upon the bank of the river Arnon, and the city that is in the midst of the river, and all the plain of Medeba unto Dibon;
- And all the cities of Sihon king of the Amorites, which reigned in Heshbon, unto the border of the children of Ammon;
- And Gilead, and the border of the Geshurites and Maachathites, and all mount Hermon, and all Bashan unto Salcah;
- All the kingdom of Og in Bashan, which reigned in Ashtaroth and in Edrei, who remained of the remnant of the giants: for these did Moses smite, and cast them out.
- Nevertheless the children of Israel expelled not the Geshurites, nor the Maachathites: but the Geshurites and the Maachathites dwell among the Israelites until this day.
- Only unto the tribe of Levi he gave none inheritance; the sacrifices of the LORD God of Israel made by fire are their inheritance, as he said unto them.
- And Moses gave unto the tribe of the children of Reuben inheritance according to their families.
- And their coast was from Aroer, that is on the bank of the river Arnon, and the city that is in the midst of the river, and all the plain by Medeba;
- Heshbon, and all her cities that are in the plain; Dibon, and Bamoth-baal, and Beth-baal-meon,
- And Jahazah, and Kedemoth, and Mephaath,
- And Kirjathaim, and Sibmah, and Zareth-shahar in the mount of the valley,
- And Beth-peor, and Ashdoth-pisgah, and Beth-jeshimoth,
- And all the cities of the plain, and all the kingdom of Sihon king of the Amorites, which reigned in Heshbon, whom Moses smote with the princes of Midian, Evi, and Rekem, and Zur, and Hur, and Reba, which were dukes of Sihon, dwelling in the country.
- Balaam also the son of Beor, the soothsayer, did the children of Israel slay with the sword among them that were slain by them.
- And the border of the children of Reuben was Jordan, and the border thereof. This was the inheritance of the children of Reuben after their families, the cities and the villages thereof.
- And Moses gave inheritance unto the tribe of Gad, even unto the children of Gad according to their families.
- And their coast was Jazer, and all the cities of Gilead, and half the land of the children of Ammon, unto Aroer that is before Rabbah;
- And from Heshbon unto Ramath-mizpeh, and Betonim; and from Mahanaim unto the border of Debir;
- And in the valley, Beth-aram, and Beth-nimrah, and Succoth, and Zaphon, the rest of the kingdom of Sihon king of Heshbon, Jordan and his border, even unto the edge of the sea of Chinnereth on the other side Jordan eastward.
- This is the inheritance of the children of Gad after their families, the cities, and their villages.
- And Moses gave inheritance unto the half tribe of Manasseh: and this was the possession of the half tribe of the children of Manasseh by their families.
- And their coast was from Mahanaim, all Bashan, all the kingdom of Og king of Bashan, and all the towns of Jair, which are in Bashan, threescore cities:
- And half Gilead, and Ashtaroth, and Edrei, cities of the kingdom of Og in Bashan, were pertaining unto the children of Machir the son of Manasseh, even to the one half of the children of Machir by their families.
- These are the countries which Moses did distribute for inheritance in the plains of Moab, on the other side Jordan, by Jericho, eastward.
- But unto the tribe of Levi Moses gave not any inheritance: the LORD God of Israel was their inheritance, as he said unto them.
Back to Top
- And these are the countries which the children of Israel inherited in the land of Canaan, which Eleazar the priest, and Joshua the son of Nun, and the heads of the fathers of the tribes of the children of Israel, distributed for inheritance to them.
- By lot was their inheritance, as the LORD commanded by the hand of Moses, for the nine tribes, and for the half tribe.
- For Moses had given the inheritance of two tribes and an half tribe on the other side Jordan: but unto the Levites he gave none inheritance among them.
- For the children of Joseph were two tribes, Manasseh and Ephraim: therefore they gave no part unto the Levites in the land, save cities to dwell in, with their suburbs for their cattle and for their substance.
- As the LORD commanded Moses, so the children of Israel did, and they divided the land.
- Then the children of Judah came unto Joshua in Gilgal: and Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite said unto him, Thou knowest the thing that the LORD said unto Moses the man of God concerning me and thee in Kadesh-barnea.
- Forty years old was I when Moses the servant of the LORD sent me from Kadesh-barnea to espy out the land; and I brought him word again as it was in mine heart.
- Nevertheless my brethren that went up with me made the heart of the people melt: but I wholly followed the LORD my God.
- And Moses sware on that day, saying, Surely the land whereon thy feet have trodden shall be thine inheritance, and thy children's for ever, because thou hast wholly followed the LORD my God.
- And now, behold, the LORD hath kept me alive, as he said, these forty and five years, even since the LORD spake this word unto Moses, while the children of Israel wandered in the wilderness: and now, lo, I am this day fourscore and five years old.
- As yet I am as strong this day as I was in the day that Moses sent me: as my strength was then, even so is my strength now, for war, both to go out, and to come in.
- Now therefore give me this mountain, whereof the LORD spake in that day; for thou heardest in that day how the Anakims were there, and that the cities were great and fenced: if so be the LORD will be with me, then I shall be able to drive them out, as the LORD said.
- And Joshua blessed him, and gave unto Caleb the son of Jephunneh Hebron for an inheritance.
- Hebron therefore became the inheritance of Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite unto this day, because that he wholly followed the LORD God of Israel.
- And the name of Hebron before was Kirjath-arba; which Arba was a great man among the Anakims. And the land had rest from war.
Back to Top
- This then was the lot of the tribe of the children of Judah by their families; even to the border of Edom the wilderness of Zin southward was the uttermost part of the south coast.
- And their south border was from the shore of the salt sea, from the bay that looketh southward:
- And it went out to the south side to Maaleh-acrabbim, and passed along to Zin, and ascended up on the south side unto Kadesh-barnea, and passed along to Hezron, and went up to Adar, and fetched a compass to Karkaa:
- From thence it passed toward Azmon, and went out unto the river of Egypt; and the goings out of that coast were at the sea: this shall be your south coast.
- And the east border was the salt sea, even unto the end of Jordan. And their border in the north quarter was from the bay of the sea at the uttermost part of Jordan:
- And the border went up to Beth-hogla, and passed along by the north of Beth-arabah; and the border went up to the stone of Bohan the son of Reuben:
- And the border went up toward Debir from the valley of Achor, and so northward, looking toward Gilgal, that is before the going up to Adummim, which is on the south side of the river: and the border passed toward the waters of En-shemesh, and the goings out thereof were at En-rogel:
- And the border went up by the valley of the son of Hinnom unto the south side of the Jebusite; the same is Jerusalem: and the border went up to the top of the mountain that lieth before the valley of Hinnom westward, which is at the end of the valley of the giants northward:
- And the border was drawn from the top of the hill unto the fountain of the water of Nephtoah, and went out to the cities of mount Ephron; and the border was drawn to Baalah, which is Kirjath-jearim:
- And the border compassed from Baalah westward unto mount Seir, and passed along unto the side of mount Jearim, which is Chesalon, on the north side, and went down to Beth-shemesh, and passed on to Timnah:
- And the border went out unto the side of Ekron northward: and the border was drawn to Shicron, and passed along to mount Baalah, and went out unto Jabneel; and the goings out of the border were at the sea.
- And the west border was to the great sea, and the coast thereof. This is the coast of the children of Judah round about according to their families.
- And unto Caleb the son of Jephunneh he gave a part among the children of Judah, according to the commandment of the LORD to Joshua, even the city of Arba the father of Anak, which city is Hebron.
- And Caleb drove thence the three sons of Anak, Sheshai, and Ahiman, and Talmai, the children of Anak.
- And he went up thence to the inhabitants of Debir: and the name of Debir before was Kirjath-sepher.
- And Caleb said, He that smiteth Kirjath-sepher, and taketh it, to him will I give Achsah my daughter to wife.
- And Othniel the son of Kenaz, the brother of Caleb, took it: and he gave him Achsah his daughter to wife.
- And it came to pass, as she came unto him, that she moved him to ask of her father a field: and she lighted off her ass; and Caleb said unto her, What wouldest thou?
- Who answered, Give me a blessing; for thou hast given me a south land; give me also springs of water. And he gave her the upper springs, and the nether springs.
- This is the inheritance of the tribe of the children of Judah according to their families.
- And the uttermost cities of the tribe of the children of Judah toward the coast of Edom southward were Kabzeel, and Eder, and Jagur,
- And Kinah, and Dimonah, and Adadah,
- And Kedesh, and Hazor, and Ithnan,
- Ziph, and Telem, and Bealoth,
- And Hazor, Hadattah, and Kerioth, and Hezron, which is Hazor,
- Amam, and Shema, and Moladah,
- And Hazar-gaddah, and Heshmon, and Beth-palet,
- And Hazarshual, and Beer-sheba, and Bizjothjah,
- Baalah, and Iim, and Azem,
- And Eltolad, and Chesil, and Hormah,
- And Ziklag, and Madmannah, and Sansannah,
- And Lebaoth, and Shilhim, and Ain, and Rimmon: all the cities are twenty and nine, with their villages:
- And in the valley, Eshtaol, and Zoreah, and Ashnah,
- And Zanoah, and En-gannim, Tappuah, and Enam,
- Jarmuth, and Adullam, Socoh, and Azekah,
- And Sharaim, and Adithaim, and Gederah, and Gederothaim; fourteen cities with their villages:
- Zenan, and Hadashah, and Migdal-gad,
- And Dilean, and Mizpeh, and Joktheel,
- Lachish, and Bozkath, and Eglon,
- And Cabbon, and Lahmam, and Kithlish,
- And Gederoth, Beth-dagon, and Naamah, and Makkedah; sixteen cities with their villages:
- Libnah, and Ether, and Ashan,
- And Jiphtah, and Ashnah, and Nezib,
- And Keilah, and Achzib, and Mareshah; nine cities with their villages:
- Ekron, with her towns and her villages:
- From Ekron even unto the sea, all that lay near Ashdod, with their villages:
- Ashdod with her towns and her villages, Gaza with her towns and her villages, unto the river of Egypt, and the great sea, and the border thereof:
- And in the mountains, Shamir, and Jattir, and Socoh,
- And Dannah, and Kirjath-sannah, which is Debir,
- And Anab, and Eshtemoh, and Anim,
- And Goshen, and Holon, and Giloh; eleven cities with their villages:
- Arab, and Dumah, and Eshean,
- And Janum, and Beth-tappuah, and Aphekah,
- And Humtah, and Kirjath-arba, which is Hebron, and Zior; nine cities with their villages:
- Maon, Carmel, and Ziph, and Juttah,
- And Jezreel, and Jokdeam, and Zanoah,
- Cain, Gibeah, and Timnah; ten cities with their villages:
- Halhul, Beth-zur, and Gedor,
- And Maarath, and Beth-anoth, and Eltekon; six cities with their villages:
- Kirjath-baal, which is Kirjath-jearim, and Rabbah; two cities with their villages:
- In the wilderness, Beth-arabah, Middin, and Secacah,
- And Nibshan, and the city of Salt, and En-gedi; six cities with their villages.
- As for the Jebusites the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the children of Judah could not drive them out: but the Jebusites dwell with the children of Judah at Jerusalem unto this day.
Back to Top
Thought for the day:
You may click on verses for Scripture
Caleb is one of the great heroes of the Scriptures. He is not as well known as his friend Joshua, because his name was never given to one of the books of the Bible. However, he stands tall as a man of great faith and conviction. We have seen previously that Caleb was one of the twelve spies originally sent out to spy on the Promised Land. He and Joshua returned with good reports, begging Israel to trust in God and go up into the land. The other ten gave an evil report, and the Jews chose to reject the advice of Joshua and Caleb, which resulted in forty years of wandering in the wilderness. During that time period, all the men above the age of twenty died off, with the exception of these two men. They provided leadership to Israel, and no doubt fought valiantly up until this point in the conquest. Now, Joshua is getting older, and he has been instructed by God to divide up the land among the tribes. The country has not been totally rid of the Canaanites, but enough has been done so that the land can be portioned off.
As the distribution was being done for the tribe of Judah, Caleb approached Joshua. He reminds him that he had been forty years old when he spied out the land, and that he had joined with Joshua in issuing the favorable report. I find it interesting that Caleb remarks that his report had been based upon what was in his heart (
14:7). He had not been simply saying what he was supposed to say, but he had been saying what he really believed - that God would give them the victory over the land, as well as great blessings in the land. He also points out to Joshua that, in spite of all the opposition he faced, he had completely dedicated himself to following the Lord. Now, over forty years later, at the age of eighty-five, Caleb is ready to take his possession in the land. Note his great resolve:
"As yet I am as strong this day as I was in the day that Moses sent me: as my strength was then, even so is my strength now, for war, both to go out, and to come in. Now therefore give me this mountain, whereof the LORD spake in that day; for thou heardest in that day how the Anakims were there, and that the cities were great and fenced: if so be the LORD will be with me, then I shall be able to drive them out, as the LORD said," (
Note also that Caleb truly wants to take God at His Word. Not only does he want his part of the Promised Land, he wants to drive out the Anakims in order to get it. Remember that the Anakims were the ones who were giants, and so terrified the other spies that they refused to enter the country. Caleb believed God would remove the Anakims then, and he still believed it so much 45 years later that He was willing to be the one to challenge them. What incredible faith!
It is one thing to say that we believe God. It is another thing to really believe God in our hearts. But it even greater to believe God so much that we put our beliefs into action. Caleb said that God could drive out Anak. He truly believed it. He proved it by being willing to fight Anak himself, and
Joshua 15:14 reveals that he drove the sons of Anak out of Hebron. We as Christians often talk a good game about what we believe about the Lord. We talk about what a Comfort and Encouragement He is, and how He will never leave us nor forsake us. We thank Him for how much He loves us. Yet, in the darkness of night we will question all those things, and in some instances lash out at the very One Who we praised in public. We will talk about how the Lord will always provide for us, yet we may be unwilling to put that faith into practice by stepping out in service or ministry. We speak of how Jesus is a Friend that sticketh closer than a brother, yet we pull back from standing for Him when it looks like our testimony might cost us family and friends. May each of us determine that from now on we will be like Caleb - faithful, fearless, and following Christ for as long as we live.
Pastor Dr. Mark J Montgomery