Pathways Through Proverbs
February 5, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 5
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- My son, attend unto my wisdom, and bow thine ear to my understanding:
- That thou mayest regard discretion, and that thy lips may keep knowledge.
- For the lips of a strange woman drop as an honeycomb, and her mouth is smoother than oil:
- But her end is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a twoedged sword.
- Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell.
- Lest thou shouldest ponder the path of life, her ways are moveable, that thou canst not know them.
- Hear me now therefore, O ye children, and depart not from the words of my mouth.
- Remove thy way far from her, and come not nigh the door of her house:
- Lest thou give thine honour unto others, and thy years unto the cruel:
- Lest strangers be filled with thy wealth; and thy labours be in the house of a stranger;
- And thou mourn at the last, when thy flesh and thy body are consumed,
- And say, How have I hated instruction, and my heart despised reproof;
- And have not obeyed the voice of my teachers, nor inclined mine ear to them that instructed me!
- I was almost in all evil in the midst of the congregation and assembly.
- Drink waters out of thine own cistern, and running waters out of thine own well.
- Let thy fountains be dispersed abroad, and rivers of waters in the streets.
- Let them be only thine own, and not strangers' with thee.
- Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.
- Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.
- And why wilt thou, my son, be ravished with a strange woman, and embrace the bosom of a stranger?
- For the ways of man are before the eyes of the LORD, and he pondereth all his goings.
- His own iniquities shall take the wicked himself, and he shall be holden with the cords of his sins.
- He shall die without instruction; and in the greatness of his folly he shall go astray.
Back to Top
Wisdom is necessary in all areas of a man's life. In Proverbs 5, one particular area is emphasized, and it is an area that is of great importance still today. Solomon in this chapter is warning his son about the dangers of immorality. In verse 3 Solomon gives a specific message concerning the foolishness of being seduced by the words of a woman to whom you are not married. It should be noted here that a woman can be enticed through the words of a man, and thus ladies should take heed to these words of wisdom as well. The word "strange" in this passage does not refer to the woman's behavior, but rather to the fact that she is not married to the man, and is attempting to coerce him into doing something that is forbidden.
You may click on verses for Scripture
Both men and women need to listen to this admonition. Many people have been led into fornication or adultery because they gave in to the tender words of a member of the opposite sex. Perhaps it was a co-worker or a fellow student who spoke so sweetly to them. Sadly, sometimes it is a pastor or a church member who uses his or her speech to lead someone else astray. The words that were used were sweet and smooth. Perhaps the unsuspecting fool was not in the habit of hearing those words from his or her spouse, and thus was more open to their invitation. Regardless, the words were spoken, and the victim gave in.
Knowing and practicing the Bible will keep us from this sin. The Scriptures forbid immorality, and They will keep us pure if we harken to Them. Stay away from those people who would use their lips to seduce you into sin, and always allow the pure Words of God to guide you rather than the smooth words of men.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery