Pathways Through Proverbs
March 2, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 2
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
- So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
- Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
- If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
- Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.
- For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.
- He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly.
- He keepeth the paths of judgment, and preserveth the way of his saints.
- Then shalt thou understand righteousness, and judgment, and equity; yea, every good path.
- When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul;
- Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee:
- To deliver thee from the way of the evil man, from the man that speaketh froward things;
- Who leave the paths of uprightness, to walk in the ways of darkness;
- Who rejoice to do evil, and delight in the frowardness of the wicked;
- Whose ways are crooked, and they froward in their paths:
- To deliver thee from the strange woman, even from the stranger which flattereth with her words;
- Which forsaketh the guide of her youth, and forgetteth the covenant of her God.
- For her house inclineth unto death, and her paths unto the dead.
- None that go unto her return again, neither take they hold of the paths of life.
- That thou mayest walk in the way of good men, and keep the paths of the righteous.
- For the upright shall dwell in the land, and the perfect shall remain in it.
- But the wicked shall be cut off from the earth, and the transgressors shall be rooted out of it.
Back to Top
As we have seen in the previous months, Solomon opens chapter 2 by showing the level of interest that the believer ought to have for the wisdom of God that is revealed in His Word. In today's verse he emphasizes the need to cry after it and lift up the voice for it. I believe that there are two ideas contained here. First of all, the Christian needs to have an intense desire to receive truth. When one lifts up his voice and cries it certainly implies the recognition of a great need. If something is not all that important, an individual does not cry out in order to receive it. However, the more valuable something is, the more inclined a man is to call out in a loud voice for it. He begs for it with the decibel level of his voice rising with each cry. We need to ask ourselves how desperate we are to learn the Word of God. How important is It to us? Is it something that we cry after, or simply something that we have a faint interest in?
You may click on verses for Scripture
The second idea contained here is that crying after something implies that we are asking someone else to supply the cherished item for us. Thus, we need to understand that we should be asking the Lord to teach us His Word. Often people may read the Scriptures, yet fail to understand them or apply them correctly. We need the help of the Holy Spirit to be able to handle the Word properly, and we need to be seeking God's help in this regard. I would recommend that we start every Bible reading session with a time of prayer during which we ask God to reveal Himself to us through that which we are about to read. Ask Him to show us our needs and teach us how to apply the Bible directly to our unique situations. He has promised to answer us when we call upon Him (Jer. 33:3), and His assistance in this area is vital.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery