Pathways Through Proverbs
March 29, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 29
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- He, that being often reproved hardeneth his neck, shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy.
- When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.
- Whoso loveth wisdom rejoiceth his father: but he that keepeth company with harlots spendeth his substance.
- The king by judgment establisheth the land: but he that receiveth gifts overthroweth it.
- A man that flattereth his neighbour spreadeth a net for his feet.
- In the transgression of an evil man there is a snare: but the righteous doth sing and rejoice.
- The righteous considereth the cause of the poor: but the wicked regardeth not to know it.
- Scornful men bring a city into a snare: but wise men turn away wrath.
- If a wise man contendeth with a foolish man, whether he rage or laugh, there is no rest.
- The bloodthirsty hate the upright: but the just seek his soul.
- A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.
- If a ruler hearken to lies, all his servants are wicked.
- The poor and the deceitful man meet together: the LORD lighteneth both their eyes.
- The king that faithfully judgeth the poor, his throne shall be established for ever.
- The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.
- When the wicked are multiplied, transgression increaseth: but the righteous shall see their fall.
- Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul.
- Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.
- A servant will not be corrected by words: for though he understand he will not answer.
- Seest thou a man that is hasty in his words? there is more hope of a fool than of him.
- He that delicately bringeth up his servant from a child shall have him become his son at the length.
- An angry man stirreth up strife, and a furious man aboundeth in transgression.
- A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.
- Whoso is partner with a thief hateth his own soul: he heareth cursing, and bewrayeth it not.
- The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe.
- Many seek the ruler's favour; but every man's judgment cometh from the LORD.
- An unjust man is an abomination to the just: and he that is upright in the way is abomination to the wicked.
Back to Top
Today's verse is one that every person ought to take very seriously. Solomon writes that the man who lives in sin and chooses to reject admonitions to repent will fall under the judgment of God in such a way that he can never recover. It is interesting to note that the Scriptures do not point out what the sin is, for the issue is not what transgression the man committed, but rather his response when he is confronted. This parallels the Lord's teaching on church discipline in Matthew 18. The basis for removing someone from the membership is not the gravity of the offense, but rather the refusal to repent.
You may click on verses for Scripture
The man in this verse has been reproved often. Instead of confessing, he makes the choice to continue down the wrong path. He hardens his neck, refusing to turn back towards the Lord. The Scriptures teach that our God is long-suffering, and not willing that any should perish. However, there comes a time when a man has been confronted on numerous occasions, both individually and from the pulpit, and in response to his stubbornness the Lord finally delivers judgment.
The Bible says that punishment comes suddenly and severely. The man shall be destroyed, and this destruction will happen so quickly that there will not be time for repentance. He will not "see it coming" and confess before it happens. And once it does occur, there will be nothing that he can do to extricate himself from it. At that point it is too late to avoid judgment, for it has already fallen and will not be removed.
As soon as we see that we are in violation of the Word of God, we need to repent, for refusal to do so carries serious consequences. What do you need to confess today?
Pastor Mark J Montgomery