Pathways Through Proverbs
April 1, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 1
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;
- To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;
- To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;
- To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.
- A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:
- To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings.
- The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
- My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother:
- For they shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck.
- My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.
- If they say, Come with us, let us lay wait for blood, let us lurk privily for the innocent without cause:
- Let us swallow them up alive as the grave; and whole, as those that go down into the pit:
- We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil:
- Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse:
- My son, walk not thou in the way with them; refrain thy foot from their path:
- For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.
- Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird.
- And they lay wait for their own blood; they lurk privily for their own lives.
- So are the ways of every one that is greedy of gain; which taketh away the life of the owners thereof.
- Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:
- She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, saying,
- How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?
- Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.
- Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;
- But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:
- I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;
- When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.
- Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:
- For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD:
- They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof.
- Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.
- For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them.
- But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.
Back to Top
Today's passage teaches the principle of personal separation. In the previous verse Solomon warned his son to not give in to those who would entice him to partake in their sinful behavior. In this verse he goes a step further and tells the young man to not even go down the same pathway as the sinful man. He is instructed not to walk with him, nor even to be on the same road as he is.
You may click on verses for Scripture
This is an important lesson to learn. If we are spending time with the ungodly, making close friendships with them and doing things with them, it is only a matter of time before they will desire to participate in sinful behavior, and they will want us to join them. If this happens we are admonished to decline, yet it would be much simpler if we chose to stay away from them in the first place. David wrote in Psalm 1:1,
"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."
The man who wants the blessings of God needs to not walk, talk or hang around with the wicked, for they will attempt to persuade him to disobey his Lord.
Wicked people do wicked things. Ungodly people follow an ungodly path. Righteous people need to stay away from those people and paths so that they can live righteous lives. This is what separation is. It is not simply choosing not to sin, it is separating yourself from those who do sin, so that you will not become like them.
What path are you walking on today, and who are you walking there with? If you don't make a change, where will you wind up?
Pastor Mark J Montgomery