Pathways Through Proverbs
April 11, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 11
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- A false balance is abomination to the LORD: but a just weight is his delight.
- When pride cometh, then cometh shame: but with the lowly is wisdom.
- The integrity of the upright shall guide them: but the perverseness of transgressors shall destroy them.
- Riches profit not in the day of wrath: but righteousness delivereth from death.
- The righteousness of the perfect shall direct his way: but the wicked shall fall by his own wickedness.
- The righteousness of the upright shall deliver them: but transgressors shall be taken in their own naughtiness.
- When a wicked man dieth, his expectation shall perish: and the hope of unjust men perisheth.
- The righteous is delivered out of trouble, and the wicked cometh in his stead.
- An hypocrite with his mouth destroyeth his neighbour: but through knowledge shall the just be delivered.
- When it goeth well with the righteous, the city rejoiceth: and when the wicked perish, there is shouting.
- By the blessing of the upright the city is exalted: but it is overthrown by the mouth of the wicked.
- He that is void of wisdom despiseth his neighbour: but a man of understanding holdeth his peace.
- A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter.
- Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.
- He that is surety for a stranger shall smart for it: and he that hateth suretiship is sure.
- A gracious woman retaineth honour: and strong men retain riches.
- The merciful man doeth good to his own soul: but he that is cruel troubleth his own flesh.
- The wicked worketh a deceitful work: but to him that soweth righteousness shall be a sure reward.
- As righteousness tendeth to life: so he that pursueth evil pursueth it to his own death.
- They that are of a froward heart are abomination to the LORD: but such as are upright in their way are his delight.
- Though hand join in hand, the wicked shall not be unpunished: but the seed of the righteous shall be delivered.
- As a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, so is a fair woman which is without discretion.
- The desire of the righteous is only good: but the expectation of the wicked is wrath.
- There is that scattereth, and yet increaseth; and there is that withholdeth more than is meet, but it tendeth to poverty.
- The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself.
- He that withholdeth corn, the people shall curse him: but blessing shall be upon the head of him that selleth it.
- He that diligently seeketh good procureth favour: but he that seeketh mischief, it shall come unto him.
- He that trusteth in his riches shall fall: but the righteous shall flourish as a branch.
- He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool shall be servant to the wise of heart.
- The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.
- Behold, the righteous shall be recompensed in the earth: much more the wicked and the sinner.
Back to Top
I remember the first time I heard a preacher quote this verse. I was in summer camp, and a young lady walked by who was very attractive, but also obviously quite carnal. As she passed, the guest evangelist, who happened to be sitting near me, muttered under his breath, "As a jewel of gold in a swine's snout..." I have often had cause to think of that occasion, for it could have been repeated many times in my experience.
You may click on verses for Scripture
A jewel in the nose of a pig does nothing to enhance the appearance of the pig. In fact, it is a complete waste, and anyone who would put a golden ring in a pig's snout would be called a fool. The same is true when a woman has beauty, but no discretion. The beauty does not help her at all spiritually, and she is a fool to think that her attractiveness makes up for her lack of judgment. The word "discretion" means to be able to make good decisions based upon a proper perception and understanding of what is right and wrong. Thus, beauty is wasted on a woman who can't make Biblical choices, and any woman who would choose to emphasize her physical appearance over her spiritual life is a fool. Incidentally, any man who would choose a wife based upon her beauty rather than upon her spirituality is equally foolish.
Solomon wants both men and women to understand that it is what a woman is like on the inside that really matters. Her outward comeliness, if she possesses any, is simply icing on the cake. It is natural for men to be attractive to pretty women, and thus women naturally want to look pretty to impress men. Solomon calls for both men and women to look at things from a spiritual standpoint, and place the priority on the heart.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery