Pathways Through Proverbs
April 20, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 20
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
- The fear of a king is as the roaring of a lion: whoso provoketh him to anger sinneth against his own soul.
- It is an honour for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will be meddling.
- The sluggard will not plow by reason of the cold; therefore shall he beg in harvest, and have nothing.
- Counsel in the heart of man is like deep water; but a man of understanding will draw it out.
- Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness: but a faithful man who can find?
- The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
- A king that sitteth in the throne of judgment scattereth away all evil with his eyes.
- Who can say, I have made my heart clean, I am pure from my sin?
- Divers weights, and divers measures, both of them are alike abomination to the LORD.
- Even a child is known by his doings, whether his work be pure, and whether it be right.
- The hearing ear, and the seeing eye, the LORD hath made even both of them.
- Love not sleep, lest thou come to poverty; open thine eyes, and thou shalt be satisfied with bread.
- It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
- There is gold, and a multitude of rubies: but the lips of knowledge are a precious jewel.
- Take his garment that is surety for a stranger: and take a pledge of him for a strange woman.
- Bread of deceit is sweet to a man; but afterwards his mouth shall be filled with gravel.
- Every purpose is established by counsel: and with good advice make war.
- He that goeth about as a talebearer revealeth secrets: therefore meddle not with him that flattereth with his lips.
- Whoso curseth his father or his mother, his lamp shall be put out in obscure darkness.
- An inheritance may be gotten hastily at the beginning; but the end thereof shall not be blessed.
- Say not thou, I will recompense evil; but wait on the LORD, and he shall save thee.
- Divers weights are an abomination unto the LORD; and a false balance is not good.
- Man's goings are of the LORD; how can a man then understand his own way?
- It is a snare to the man who devoureth that which is holy, and after vows to make enquiry.
- A wise king scattereth the wicked, and bringeth the wheel over them.
- The spirit of man is the candle of the LORD, searching all the inward parts of the belly.
- Mercy and truth preserve the king: and his throne is upholden by mercy.
- The glory of young men is their strength: and the beauty of old men is the gray head.
- The blueness of a wound cleanseth away evil: so do stripes the inward parts of the belly.
Back to Top
Alcohol has been a highly destructive force upon men throughout history. As we look at our society today we see how it ravages people. Many homes have been destroyed because of alcohol. Numerous lives have been taken because of alcohol. Jobs have been lost, wives and children have been abused, and moral purity has been surrendered at the altar of drink. It is stunning to see the percentage of inmates who are incarcerated because of crimes committed while under the influence. This is not simply a problem in Western society; it occurs world wide. Missionaries have often shared with me the tragedies that have occurred in their communities and villages that are directly attributable to beer, wine, and liquor.
You may click on verses for Scripture
Solomon writes that wine is a mocker and strong drink is raging. Even some Christians believe that is acceptable to drink as long as it is done in "moderation". Yet Solomon doesn't say that booze can be a problem; he states that alcohol is mocking and raging, regardless of the amount that is consumed. Thus, abstinence must be the choice of the child of God.
The people who wind up destroying their lives through drink never intended for that to be their end result. They just wanted to have a couple beers to cool off or unwind with after a long day. Perhaps they simply wanted some wine with a romantic dinner. Maybe they were out with their friends, and drinking was expected. Maybe they just thought that it was the socially acceptable thing to do. But whatever the initial motivation, they all had the same thoughts: I can handle this, and, I'll never be a drunk. Not one man at the Rescue Mission planned to be there when he took his first drink, but that is where they wound up, because alcohol deceives. You think you can handle it, and that it won't affect you, but it always does.
Anyone who thinks that he can drink and not be harmed by it is both deceived and a fool. Be smart - abstain.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery