Pathways Through Proverbs
May 9, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 9
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars:
- She hath killed her beasts; she hath mingled her wine; she hath also furnished her table.
- She hath sent forth her maidens: she crieth upon the highest places of the city,
- Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither: as for him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him,
- Come, eat of my bread, and drink of the wine which I have mingled.
- Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.
- He that reproveth a scorner getteth to himself shame: and he that rebuketh a wicked man getteth himself a blot.
- Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.
- Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
- The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
- For by me thy days shall be multiplied, and the years of thy life shall be increased.
- If thou be wise, thou shalt be wise for thyself: but if thou scornest, thou alone shalt bear it.
- A foolish woman is clamorous: she is simple, and knoweth nothing.
- For she sitteth at the door of her house, on a seat in the high places of the city,
- To call passengers who go right on their ways:
- Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither: and as for him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him,
- Stolen waters are sweet, and bread eaten in secret is pleasant.
- But he knoweth not that the dead are there; and that her guests are in the depths of hell.
Back to Top
Proverbs 9 is a chapter that shows the two directions that a man can go. According to verse 4, wisdom calls to the simpleton and invites him to come into her beautiful banquet hall so that he can gain knowledge and understanding. In verse 16 foolishness calls to the simpleton and invites him into her house to participate in that which will ruin his life. The man must make a choice, and respond to one of these calls.
You may click on verses for Scripture
In the same way each of us must choose what direction we are going to go and which "voice" we are going to respond to. We can not be neutral, for failure to follow wisdom automatically places us on the path of foolishness. As we saw yesterday, wisdom is crying out to all men, offering them everything that they need to be successful in their lives. Foolishness also cries out, offering pleasure and popularity at the expense of discretion. As I walk down the street of life, both are vying for my attention. The picture here is of street venders; each one doing his best to get me to buy his product. As we will see in the months to come, that which is offered by wisdom in this chapter is much more wonderful than that which is offered by foolishness. Yet many men choose to turn in to the house of foolishness, where they will eventually pay a heavy price for a decidedly inferior product.
Today, both wisdom and foolishness are calling your name. Both God and Satan want you to follow them. Both the flesh and the Spirit want you to yield to them. Into which doorway will you turn?
Pastor Mark J Montgomery