Pathways Through Proverbs
May 12, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 12
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- Whoso loveth instruction loveth knowledge: but he that hateth reproof is brutish.
- A good man obtaineth favour of the LORD: but a man of wicked devices will he condemn.
- A man shall not be established by wickedness: but the root of the righteous shall not be moved.
- A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that maketh ashamed is as rottenness in his bones.
- The thoughts of the righteous are right: but the counsels of the wicked are deceit.
- The words of the wicked are to lie in wait for blood: but the mouth of the upright shall deliver them.
- The wicked are overthrown, and are not: but the house of the righteous shall stand.
- A man shall be commended according to his wisdom: but he that is of a perverse heart shall be despised.
- He that is despised, and hath a servant, is better than he that honoureth himself, and lacketh bread.
- A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.
- He that tilleth his land shall be satisfied with bread: but he that followeth vain persons is void of understanding.
- The wicked desireth the net of evil men: but the root of the righteous yieldeth fruit.
- The wicked is snared by the transgression of his lips: but the just shall come out of trouble.
- A man shall be satisfied with good by the fruit of his mouth: and the recompence of a man's hands shall be rendered unto him.
- The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.
- A fool's wrath is presently known: but a prudent man covereth shame.
- He that speaketh truth sheweth forth righteousness: but a false witness deceit.
- There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health.
- The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment.
- Deceit is in the heart of them that imagine evil: but to the counsellors of peace is joy.
- There shall no evil happen to the just: but the wicked shall be filled with mischief.
- Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight.
- A prudent man concealeth knowledge: but the heart of fools proclaimeth foolishness.
- The hand of the diligent shall bear rule: but the slothful shall be under tribute.
- Heaviness in the heart of man maketh it stoop: but a good word maketh it glad.
- The righteous is more excellent than his neighbour: but the way of the wicked seduceth them.
- The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious.
- In the way of righteousness is life; and in the pathway thereof there is no death.
Back to Top
Much of Proverbs 12 deals with the proper and improper use of the tongue. In today's verse Solomon opens by reminding us how devastating troubles can be to a man's heart. When discouragement comes, or difficult times attack him, or perhaps even upon hearing bad news, his heart can begin to sink within him. I believe that all of us have had this experience at one time or another. It seems like all we can think about is our problems. We lie awake at night dwelling on them, and if we do go to sleep we find that they are back on our minds as soon as we awaken. The joy seems to disappear from our lives as we become more and more consumed with our troubles, and we may wonder whether or not it will ever return.
You may click on verses for Scripture
Solomon writes that hearing a kind word from someone can make all the difference in the world. I may feel like I have failed at something, but when an acquaintance commends me for the job I have done, it brightens my day and cheers my heart. Discouragement concerning one's health can be instantly remedied by a good report from the doctor. Loneliness can be alleviated by a phone call from an old friend. Thus, Solomon reminds us of how powerful an encouraging word can be.
If a kind word spoken by another benefits us, it only stands to reason that others would be blessed by uplifting words spoken by us. Take some time today to find someone who is struggling, and offer them a word of encouragement. Let them know that you are praying for them. Tell them that you appreciate all that they are going through, and that you commend them for their hard work. Let them know that you care, and that you want to be a friend to them. It isn't hard to do, and you'll be amazed what a difference it will make in that person's attitude and life.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery