Pathways Through Proverbs
May 31, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 31
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- The words of king Lemuel, the prophecy that his mother taught him.
- What, my son? and what, the son of my womb? and what, the son of my vows?
- Give not thy strength unto women, nor thy ways to that which destroyeth kings.
- It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:
- Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.
- Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
- Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.
- Open thy mouth for the dumb in the cause of all such as are appointed to destruction.
- Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy.
- Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
- The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.
- She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.
- She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.
- She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar.
- She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.
- She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
- She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.
- She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.
- She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.
- She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.
- She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.
- She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple.
- Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.
- She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.
- Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.
- She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
- She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
- Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
- Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.
- Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.
- Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.
Back to Top
Earlier this month we celebrated Mothers Day. Traditionally, sons and daughters have gone to the store and purchased a card for their moms, and perhaps a gift of some sort to show their appreciation for what Mom has done for them. Perhaps they even take Mom out for lunch at her favorite restaurant. All of these things are nice, but the greatest gift that any mom could receive is found for us in today's verse.
You may click on verses for Scripture
The virtuous woman receives two honors in this verse. First of all, her children call her blessed. They stand up and tell her that she is a wonderful mother who has done great things for them. They praise her, thank her, and let her know in a public way just how much she really means to them. Second, her husband also praises her. He is thankful for how she has treated him and for how she has raised the children. I assume that while he is sitting in the gate with the elders (23, 31) he tells them about how God has blessed him by giving him such a help meet. I can't think of anything more gratifying, humanly speaking, then to hear those who you love the most tell you, and others, how much they appreciate all that you are and do.
The truth is that the promise of hearing these words is offered only to the virtuous woman. The woman who prioritizes the Lord (30), her husband (11), her children (21), and her home (27) is the one who will receive praise from her family, as well as from the Lord. Ladies, make sure that your priorities are correct. Men, allow your wives to be able to become the virtuous women that God wants them to be.
God has a plan for Christian womanhood. It is our responsibility to follow it.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery