Pathways Through Proverbs
June 5, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 5
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- My son, attend unto my wisdom, and bow thine ear to my understanding:
- That thou mayest regard discretion, and that thy lips may keep knowledge.
- For the lips of a strange woman drop as an honeycomb, and her mouth is smoother than oil:
- But her end is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a twoedged sword.
- Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell.
- Lest thou shouldest ponder the path of life, her ways are moveable, that thou canst not know them.
- Hear me now therefore, O ye children, and depart not from the words of my mouth.
- Remove thy way far from her, and come not nigh the door of her house:
- Lest thou give thine honour unto others, and thy years unto the cruel:
- Lest strangers be filled with thy wealth; and thy labours be in the house of a stranger;
- And thou mourn at the last, when thy flesh and thy body are consumed,
- And say, How have I hated instruction, and my heart despised reproof;
- And have not obeyed the voice of my teachers, nor inclined mine ear to them that instructed me!
- I was almost in all evil in the midst of the congregation and assembly.
- Drink waters out of thine own cistern, and running waters out of thine own well.
- Let thy fountains be dispersed abroad, and rivers of waters in the streets.
- Let them be only thine own, and not strangers' with thee.
- Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.
- Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.
- And why wilt thou, my son, be ravished with a strange woman, and embrace the bosom of a stranger?
- For the ways of man are before the eyes of the LORD, and he pondereth all his goings.
- His own iniquities shall take the wicked himself, and he shall be holden with the cords of his sins.
- He shall die without instruction; and in the greatness of his folly he shall go astray.
Back to Top
Today's passage is really geared more to married people, but applications can be made to single individuals as well. The context of this passage deals with avoiding the strange woman. Solomon warns his son repeatedly throughout the entire book to stay away from immoral situations. In this verse he instructs him to drink only from the waters that belong to him. In context, he is telling him to remain completely faithful to his own wife.
You may click on verses for Scripture
A man has no right to have any type of physical relationship with any woman to whom he is not married. God has ordained that sexual activity is to be confined to the marriage relationship between a man and a woman, and there are absolutely no exceptions (Heb. 13:4; I Cor. 7:2). If a man is married, he is to maintain a physical relationship only with his wife. If he is single, he is to wait and control himself until he gets a wife.
It is important to remember to whom my body belongs. According to Paul, my body belongs to two people. First of all, it belongs to God. I Corinthians 6:20 states,
"For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."
Second, it belongs to my spouse, whether I have married her yet or not. I Corinthians 7:4 states,
"The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife."
It is not my own to do as I please, and it does not belong to another woman. It is reserved for the Lord and my wife.
Be careful who you look at, for you are to only drink from your own "cistern". Be careful who you touch, for you are limited to your own "well". Control your thoughts, for you belong to God and your spouse. Immorality is a horrible sin, and we must flee from it.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery