Pathways Through Proverbs
June 7, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 7
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee.
- Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.
- Bind them upon thy fingers, write them upon the table of thine heart.
- Say unto wisdom, Thou art my sister; and call understanding thy kinswoman:
- That they may keep thee from the strange woman, from the stranger which flattereth with her words.
- For at the window of my house I looked through my casement,
- And beheld among the simple ones, I discerned among the youths, a young man void of understanding,
- Passing through the street near her corner; and he went the way to her house,
- In the twilight, in the evening, in the black and dark night:
- And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.
- (She is loud and stubborn; her feet abide not in her house:
- Now is she without, now in the streets, and lieth in wait at every corner.)
- So she caught him, and kissed him, and with an impudent face said unto him,
- I have peace offerings with me; this day have I payed my vows.
- Therefore came I forth to meet thee, diligently to seek thy face, and I have found thee.
- I have decked my bed with coverings of tapestry, with carved works, with fine linen of Egypt.
- I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.
- Come, let us take our fill of love until the morning: let us solace ourselves with loves.
- For the goodman is not at home, he is gone a long journey:
- He hath taken a bag of money with him, and will come home at the day appointed.
- With her much fair speech she caused him to yield, with the flattering of her lips she forced him.
- He goeth after her straightway, as an ox goeth to the slaughter, or as a fool to the correction of the stocks;
- Till a dart strike through his liver; as a bird hasteth to the snare, and knoweth not that it is for his life.
- Hearken unto me now therefore, O ye children, and attend to the words of my mouth.
- Let not thine heart decline to her ways, go not astray in her paths.
- For she hath cast down many wounded: yea, many strong men have been slain by her.
- Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.
Back to Top
For the past four months we have been looking at the details of this sad story if immorality. Remember that the young man had no intentions of surrendering his purity when he left his house, but it did happen because of a number of events and decisions that took place that evening. Had those events not occurred, it is doubtful that the immorality would have occurred either.
You may click on verses for Scripture
In today's verse we see that a sensual, physical contact was made between the man and the woman. She caught him, which means that she not only caught up to him, but fastened herself onto him, and then she kissed him. There is no indication that the young man made any attempt to avoid her touch; he probably enjoyed it. In the New Testament Paul warns that sensual contact leads to immorality. In I Corinthians 7:1 he writes,
"It is good for a man not to touch a woman."
Some have tried to read more into Paul's words, but the reality is that Paul said "touch", and he meant "touch". Interestingly, in verse 2 of that chapter he adds,
"Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife...".
Paul clearly understood that physical contact between the sexes could easily lead to immoral contact. Thus, he instructed the Corinthian church to maintain "hands off" relationships between unmarried men and women. This is not to say that it is improper to shake hands, or something like that. However, anything that is remotely sensual must be avoided.
Here is a simplistic, yet accurate principle: if you never hug or kiss a woman to whom you are not married, you won't get involved in immorality with her, either. Choose to abstain from touching in the first place, and you won't have to worry about trying to stop once your passions have been aroused.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery