Pathways Through Proverbs
June 19, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 19
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- Better is the poor that walketh in his integrity, than he that is perverse in his lips, and is a fool.
- Also, that the soul be without knowledge, it is not good; and he that hasteth with his feet sinneth.
- The foolishness of man perverteth his way: and his heart fretteth against the LORD.
- Wealth maketh many friends; but the poor is separated from his neighbour.
- A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he that speaketh lies shall not escape.
- Many will intreat the favour of the prince: and every man is a friend to him that giveth gifts.
- All the brethren of the poor do hate him: how much more do his friends go far from him? he pursueth them with words, yet they are wanting to him.
- He that getteth wisdom loveth his own soul: he that keepeth understanding shall find good.
- A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he that speaketh lies shall perish.
- Delight is not seemly for a fool; much less for a servant to have rule over princes.
- The discretion of a man deferreth his anger; and it is his glory to pass over a transgression.
- The king's wrath is as the roaring of a lion; but his favour is as dew upon the grass.
- A foolish son is the calamity of his father: and the contentions of a wife are a continual dropping.
- House and riches are the inheritance of fathers: and a prudent wife is from the LORD.
- Slothfulness casteth into a deep sleep; and an idle soul shall suffer hunger.
- He that keepeth the commandment keepeth his own soul; but he that despiseth his ways shall die.
- He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD; and that which he hath given will he pay him again.
- Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying.
- A man of great wrath shall suffer punishment: for if thou deliver him, yet thou must do it again.
- Hear counsel, and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end.
- There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.
- The desire of a man is his kindness: and a poor man is better than a liar.
- The fear of the LORD tendeth to life: and he that hath it shall abide satisfied; he shall not be visited with evil.
- A slothful man hideth his hand in his bosom, and will not so much as bring it to his mouth again.
- Smite a scorner, and the simple will beware: and reprove one that hath understanding, and he will understand knowledge.
- He that wasteth his father, and chaseth away his mother, is a son that causeth shame, and bringeth reproach.
- Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causeth to err from the words of knowledge.
- An ungodly witness scorneth judgment: and the mouth of the wicked devoureth iniquity.
- Judgments are prepared for scorners, and stripes for the back of fools.
Back to Top
Solomon opens this verse by telling us that houses and riches can come to a man through an inheritance from his father. If someone comes from a wealthy family, it certainly is a possibility that the possessions of the dad will pass on to the child, and that he will be wealthy himself as a direct result of his parent's good fortune and benevolence Therefore, if I receive an inheritance, I need to thank my parents. However, according to the second half of the verse, if I have a prudent wife, I need to thank the Lord, for He is the One Who has given her to me.
You may click on verses for Scripture
The word prudent means to be circumspect, wise, practical, and able to prepare for the future. I think that every man would like to have a wife who possess these qualities! Unfortunately, many women are not this way. Some ladies are frivolous in their spending habits. Some are more interested in having a good time then they are in maintaining their home. Some make foolish decisions in regards to their husband or children. Others fritter their time away while giving no thought to the long-range consequences of their decisions. Some men are married to women like this, and it presents a difficulty for them.
However, if you have a wife who is prudent, then you need to thank the Lord for her. Proverbs 31:10 tells us that it is very rare to find a virtuous woman, and thus, if you have been blessed of God to have been allowed to marry such a lady, you need to remember that it is the Lord Who has given her to you, and rejoice in His benevolence.
It is your relationship with your wife that is your most important human relationship. If she is a blessing to you, and a godly, prudent woman, then take some time today to thank the Lord for her. It is only by His grace that you have the privilege of being married to her.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery