Pathways Through Proverbs
July 6, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 6
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- My son, if thou be surety for thy friend, if thou hast stricken thy hand with a stranger,
- Thou art snared with the words of thy mouth, thou art taken with the words of thy mouth.
- Do this now, my son, and deliver thyself, when thou art come into the hand of thy friend; go, humble thyself, and make sure thy friend.
- Give not sleep to thine eyes, nor slumber to thine eyelids.
- Deliver thyself as a roe from the hand of the hunter, and as a bird from the hand of the fowler.
- Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise:
- Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler,
- Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest.
- How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep?
- Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep:
- So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man.
- A naughty person, a wicked man, walketh with a froward mouth.
- He winketh with his eyes, he speaketh with his feet, he teacheth with his fingers;
- Frowardness is in his heart, he deviseth mischief continually; he soweth discord.
- Therefore shall his calamity come suddenly; suddenly shall he be broken without remedy.
- These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
- A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
- An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
- A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
- My son, keep thy father's commandment, and forsake not the law of thy mother:
- Bind them continually upon thine heart, and tie them about thy neck.
- When thou goest, it shall lead thee; when thou sleepest, it shall keep thee; and when thou awakest, it shall talk with thee.
- For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:
- To keep thee from the evil woman, from the flattery of the tongue of a strange woman.
- Lust not after her beauty in thine heart; neither let her take thee with her eyelids.
- For by means of a whorish woman a man is brought to a piece of bread: and the adulteress will hunt for the precious life.
- Can a man take fire in his bosom, and his clothes not be burned?
- Can one go upon hot coals, and his feet not be burned?
- So he that goeth in to his neighbour's wife; whosoever toucheth her shall not be innocent.
- Men do not despise a thief, if he steal to satisfy his soul when he is hungry;
- But if he be found, he shall restore sevenfold; he shall give all the substance of his house.
- But whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he that doeth it destroyeth his own soul.
- A wound and dishonour shall he get; and his reproach shall not be wiped away.
- For jealousy is the rage of a man: therefore he will not spare in the day of vengeance.
- He will not regard any ransom; neither will he rest content, though thou givest many gifts.
Back to Top
In verse 20 of this chapter Solomon tells his son to keep the commandments that he has been taught by mother and father. In today's verse Solomon reveals to his son exactly what the Word of God will do for him if He keeps It. It will give him direction, It will give him comfort, and It will give him wisdom. When you get right down to it, aren't these the three things that each of us need and want the most?
You may click on verses for Scripture
First, I want to go in the right direction. I want to make smart decisions, and not put myself in a position where I will either ruin myself or destroy my family. Therefore, the Bible, which is "a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path" (Psalm 119:105), promises to always lead me in the proper way.
Second, I want to be able to put my head on my pillow at night and know that everything is under the Lord's control. Nothing is going to happen while I am asleep that the Lord can't take care of. Nothing will happen tomorrow that should force me to stay awake tonight. If the Lord chooses, He will allow me to awaken in the morning, and should He choose to take me home to Heaven, that would be all right as well. It is the Scripture that will allow me to understand and believe these truths.
Finally, I need to have wisdom to make proper judgments and decisions in my everyday life. Solomon says that the Bible will talk to me. I will not hear it with my ears, but as I read it God will reveal to me exactly what I should be doing in every situation of life.
Everything that I need is found in the Bible. I don't need to worry, and I don't need to make bad choices. Find out what the Scriptures say, and you won't need to, either.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery