Pathways Through Proverbs
July 9, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 9
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars:
- She hath killed her beasts; she hath mingled her wine; she hath also furnished her table.
- She hath sent forth her maidens: she crieth upon the highest places of the city,
- Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither: as for him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him,
- Come, eat of my bread, and drink of the wine which I have mingled.
- Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.
- He that reproveth a scorner getteth to himself shame: and he that rebuketh a wicked man getteth himself a blot.
- Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.
- Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
- The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
- For by me thy days shall be multiplied, and the years of thy life shall be increased.
- If thou be wise, thou shalt be wise for thyself: but if thou scornest, thou alone shalt bear it.
- A foolish woman is clamorous: she is simple, and knoweth nothing.
- For she sitteth at the door of her house, on a seat in the high places of the city,
- To call passengers who go right on their ways:
- Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither: and as for him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him,
- Stolen waters are sweet, and bread eaten in secret is pleasant.
- But he knoweth not that the dead are there; and that her guests are in the depths of hell.
Back to Top
Chapter 9 deals with the contrast between wisdom and foolishness. Both are crying out for men to follow after them, and each individual must make the choice as to which call he will heed.
You may click on verses for Scripture
One of the contrasts that is shown in this chapter is the greatness of wisdom compared with the ugliness and emptiness of foolishness. In today's verses, Solomon is extolling the wonders of wisdom. Wisdom is pictured as a beautiful, well-constructed house with seven pillars holding up the roof. Within this home is a wonderful feast. A table has been set with all manner of good things upon it, and the meal itself includes the finest meats and beverages. All of this is being used to describe how valuable wisdom is. When it is possessed and used, it will bring to the believer a wonderful and spiritually prosperous life.
The unsaved have the mistaken notion that adherence to Biblical principles will rob a man of enjoying what life has to offer. These verses show that idea to be false. Wisdom has beauty. Wisdom has satisfaction. Wisdom has strength and longevity. Wisdom will provide for a man all that he needs to live a life that will not only bring him joy, but will please God as well.
The question is, why would any thinking person NOT choose to walk in the path of wisdom? Who would not want to walk into a beautiful mansion as described in today's verses? Who would not want to sit down at that meal? If those material things sound good to you, and if you would pursue them if they were offered, please understand that spiritual wisdom is being offered to you today, and its benefits far outweigh anything that the material world can provide.
What choice are you going to make?
Pastor Mark J Montgomery