Pathways Through Proverbs
July 31, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 31
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- The words of king Lemuel, the prophecy that his mother taught him.
- What, my son? and what, the son of my womb? and what, the son of my vows?
- Give not thy strength unto women, nor thy ways to that which destroyeth kings.
- It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:
- Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.
- Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
- Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.
- Open thy mouth for the dumb in the cause of all such as are appointed to destruction.
- Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy.
- Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
- The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.
- She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.
- She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.
- She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar.
- She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.
- She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
- She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.
- She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.
- She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.
- She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.
- She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.
- She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple.
- Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.
- She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.
- Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.
- She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
- She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
- Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
- Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.
- Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.
- Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.
Back to Top
Every man is limited as to what he can accomplish in his lifetime. He is restricted by time, ability, and strength. There are only so many hours in a day in which a man can work. He has only a certain number of talents that he can effectively use. There are a limited number of things that he can do before he tires, or is physically unable to continue working. Thus, a wise man will use his opportunities to their fullest potential so that he can finish the course that God has set before him.
You may click on verses for Scripture
Lemuel's mother warned him not to throw away those opportunities on things that will keep him from reaching his goals. Her first warning concerned women. Lest this statement be considered "anti-female", it should be remembered that it was a woman who gave Lemuel this admonition! We know from the Scriptures that there is nothing wrong with marriage, and a man who has a "virtuous woman" for a wife is truly blessed by God. However, many men, particularly young men, waste much time and effort in the pursuit of women. They feel the need to date as many girls as they can. They give their hearts to many ladies, only to find that their hearts are regularly broken. They will sacrifice what is God's best in their lives for a girlfriend. Many will even involve themselves in fornication. In short, they give the strength of their youth away to women. How many young men have turned their backs upon the Lord's work because it would hinder their relationship with a potential mate? How many teenage boys "don't have time" to get involved in their local church, or even get an education, because of the girls in their lives? Sadly, these things can be true for young ladies as well. Lemuel's mother knew that this was the case, and she warned her son to be careful.
If you are single, God has a special mate chosen just for you. Don't throw your life away chasing after someone else. If you are a married, thank God for your spouse, and leave all the others alone. Don't allow anyone to rob you of your strength to serve the Lord.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery