Pathways Through Proverbs
August 5, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 5
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- My son, attend unto my wisdom, and bow thine ear to my understanding:
- That thou mayest regard discretion, and that thy lips may keep knowledge.
- For the lips of a strange woman drop as an honeycomb, and her mouth is smoother than oil:
- But her end is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a twoedged sword.
- Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell.
- Lest thou shouldest ponder the path of life, her ways are moveable, that thou canst not know them.
- Hear me now therefore, O ye children, and depart not from the words of my mouth.
- Remove thy way far from her, and come not nigh the door of her house:
- Lest thou give thine honour unto others, and thy years unto the cruel:
- Lest strangers be filled with thy wealth; and thy labours be in the house of a stranger;
- And thou mourn at the last, when thy flesh and thy body are consumed,
- And say, How have I hated instruction, and my heart despised reproof;
- And have not obeyed the voice of my teachers, nor inclined mine ear to them that instructed me!
- I was almost in all evil in the midst of the congregation and assembly.
- Drink waters out of thine own cistern, and running waters out of thine own well.
- Let thy fountains be dispersed abroad, and rivers of waters in the streets.
- Let them be only thine own, and not strangers' with thee.
- Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.
- Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.
- And why wilt thou, my son, be ravished with a strange woman, and embrace the bosom of a stranger?
- For the ways of man are before the eyes of the LORD, and he pondereth all his goings.
- His own iniquities shall take the wicked himself, and he shall be holden with the cords of his sins.
- He shall die without instruction; and in the greatness of his folly he shall go astray.
Back to Top
Regardless of what your situation might be, the two principles found in today's verse must always be remembered. The first one is this: God sees everything that we do. There is nothing that is hidden from His sight. He is omnipresent, and His gaze encompasses the totality of the universe. It does not matter if it is dark or light. It does not matter how secretive we attempt to be. Everything I say and do, as well as everything I think, is continually before the eyes of the Lord.
You may click on verses for Scripture
The second half of the verse expands on this. God not only sees what I do, but He understands it. Often humans will see something, but not really comprehend what is going on. They may misinterpret someone's actions, or misunderstand his words, and thus make incorrect evaluations because of it. However, God never does this. He thinks about everything that I do. He understands what motivated my choice. He knows whether my heart is pure. He knows what my words really meant, and the attitude with which they were spoken. All my goings are completely revealed before Him.
This being the case, why would I ever attempt to do something that violates the Word of God? There is absolutely no chance that I will get away with it. Because we can sometimes fool a spouse, parent, boss, or pastor, we somehow get the idea that we can fool the Lord as well. We must remember that God is not limited as humans are. He sees everything, and understands everything that He sees, and we will be held accountable for all of it.
If you would alter your behavior if you knew that someone was watching, you had better make the change immediately, because Someone is paying very close attention to everything in your life.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery