Pathways Through Proverbs
August 7, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 7
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee.
- Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.
- Bind them upon thy fingers, write them upon the table of thine heart.
- Say unto wisdom, Thou art my sister; and call understanding thy kinswoman:
- That they may keep thee from the strange woman, from the stranger which flattereth with her words.
- For at the window of my house I looked through my casement,
- And beheld among the simple ones, I discerned among the youths, a young man void of understanding,
- Passing through the street near her corner; and he went the way to her house,
- In the twilight, in the evening, in the black and dark night:
- And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.
- (She is loud and stubborn; her feet abide not in her house:
- Now is she without, now in the streets, and lieth in wait at every corner.)
- So she caught him, and kissed him, and with an impudent face said unto him,
- I have peace offerings with me; this day have I payed my vows.
- Therefore came I forth to meet thee, diligently to seek thy face, and I have found thee.
- I have decked my bed with coverings of tapestry, with carved works, with fine linen of Egypt.
- I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.
- Come, let us take our fill of love until the morning: let us solace ourselves with loves.
- For the goodman is not at home, he is gone a long journey:
- He hath taken a bag of money with him, and will come home at the day appointed.
- With her much fair speech she caused him to yield, with the flattering of her lips she forced him.
- He goeth after her straightway, as an ox goeth to the slaughter, or as a fool to the correction of the stocks;
- Till a dart strike through his liver; as a bird hasteth to the snare, and knoweth not that it is for his life.
- Hearken unto me now therefore, O ye children, and attend to the words of my mouth.
- Let not thine heart decline to her ways, go not astray in her paths.
- For she hath cast down many wounded: yea, many strong men have been slain by her.
- Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.
Back to Top
As we continue the saga of the factors that led to the immoral relationship which is delineated for us in this chapter, we come to a statement made by the woman that is truly treacherous. Having caught and kissed the young man, she opens her seductive comments by stating that she has paid her vows and thus has peace offerings. This is a two-fold temptation. First of all, when someone offered a peace offering at the Temple, all of the offering was not consumed. Therefore, she is telling the simpleton that she has plenty of good food back at the house for him to enjoy. In doing this she is continuing to appeal to his sensual appetites. We need to understand that if we do not control all aspects of our flesh we will be susceptible to all areas of fleshly temptation. It may seem that there is a large gap between the desire for gluttony and the lust for immorality, but the fact is that both appeal to the flesh, and we need to crucify that part of our lives (Gal. 5:24).
You may click on verses for Scripture
However, I think that there is an even stronger enticement made by the woman in this verse. She immediately informs the young man that she has been to the Temple that day and paid her vows. In other words, she is telling him what a great servant of the Lord she is, and that she is in a right relationship with God. It is sad to think how often people have been led astray by others who claimed to be spiritual. Many a young woman has been ruined by a marriage to a man who said that he loved the Lord, but really did not. Many Christian teens have been led astray by the "good kids" in the youth group or the Christian school, and their parents were oblivious because the kids in question were faithful in church attendance and came from "good families". Churches have been led into error by pastors who were followed not because of their Biblical positions, but simply because they were the pastor and therefore would never do anything amiss. Remember this: just because someone claims to be spiritual doesn't mean that he is. Analyze everything and everyone by the Word of God alone.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery