Pathways Through Proverbs
August 12, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 12
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- Whoso loveth instruction loveth knowledge: but he that hateth reproof is brutish.
- A good man obtaineth favour of the LORD: but a man of wicked devices will he condemn.
- A man shall not be established by wickedness: but the root of the righteous shall not be moved.
- A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that maketh ashamed is as rottenness in his bones.
- The thoughts of the righteous are right: but the counsels of the wicked are deceit.
- The words of the wicked are to lie in wait for blood: but the mouth of the upright shall deliver them.
- The wicked are overthrown, and are not: but the house of the righteous shall stand.
- A man shall be commended according to his wisdom: but he that is of a perverse heart shall be despised.
- He that is despised, and hath a servant, is better than he that honoureth himself, and lacketh bread.
- A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.
- He that tilleth his land shall be satisfied with bread: but he that followeth vain persons is void of understanding.
- The wicked desireth the net of evil men: but the root of the righteous yieldeth fruit.
- The wicked is snared by the transgression of his lips: but the just shall come out of trouble.
- A man shall be satisfied with good by the fruit of his mouth: and the recompence of a man's hands shall be rendered unto him.
- The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.
- A fool's wrath is presently known: but a prudent man covereth shame.
- He that speaketh truth sheweth forth righteousness: but a false witness deceit.
- There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health.
- The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment.
- Deceit is in the heart of them that imagine evil: but to the counsellors of peace is joy.
- There shall no evil happen to the just: but the wicked shall be filled with mischief.
- Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight.
- A prudent man concealeth knowledge: but the heart of fools proclaimeth foolishness.
- The hand of the diligent shall bear rule: but the slothful shall be under tribute.
- Heaviness in the heart of man maketh it stoop: but a good word maketh it glad.
- The righteous is more excellent than his neighbour: but the way of the wicked seduceth them.
- The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious.
- In the way of righteousness is life; and in the pathway thereof there is no death.
Back to Top
In today's verse Solomon reveals how the foolish man uses that which God has given him. He writes that the slothful man, the lazy, foolish man, goes out hunting, but is too much of a sluggard to take that which he has killed and eat it. Apparently he allows it to simply rot in the forest. It could have provided meat for him and his family, but he thinks that it would be too much work to dress it and prepare it, so he leaves it. This proverb is not an indictment of hunting, but rather shows that this man is too foolish to take advantage of what God has blessed him with.
You may click on verses for Scripture
This scenario can be seen in any number of places. Some young people have been blessed by God with good minds, as well as with parents who genuinely want their children to succeed for the Lord. Yet these kids waste that which God has given them, and never amount to anything for Him. Others have talents that they are too lazy to develop. Some have been blessed with Godly parents and a strong Christian influence in their homes, yet they turn their back on all of it. Some men have been blessed with the ability to make money, yet they don't use their finances for the Lord.
How foolish it is not to take full advantage of all that the Lord has given to us! In this country we have religious liberty, yet we fail to take advantage of it. We have great technology that allows us to proclaim the Word of God through a variety of media, yet we slothfully sit and squander our opportunities. We have great resources, yet we waste them on that which is unimportant for eternity. May we as believers stop allowing our flesh to dictate what we will do, and instead take that which God has provided and use it wisely to His glory.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery