Pathways Through Proverbs
August 29, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 29
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- He, that being often reproved hardeneth his neck, shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy.
- When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.
- Whoso loveth wisdom rejoiceth his father: but he that keepeth company with harlots spendeth his substance.
- The king by judgment establisheth the land: but he that receiveth gifts overthroweth it.
- A man that flattereth his neighbour spreadeth a net for his feet.
- In the transgression of an evil man there is a snare: but the righteous doth sing and rejoice.
- The righteous considereth the cause of the poor: but the wicked regardeth not to know it.
- Scornful men bring a city into a snare: but wise men turn away wrath.
- If a wise man contendeth with a foolish man, whether he rage or laugh, there is no rest.
- The bloodthirsty hate the upright: but the just seek his soul.
- A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.
- If a ruler hearken to lies, all his servants are wicked.
- The poor and the deceitful man meet together: the LORD lighteneth both their eyes.
- The king that faithfully judgeth the poor, his throne shall be established for ever.
- The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.
- When the wicked are multiplied, transgression increaseth: but the righteous shall see their fall.
- Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul.
- Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.
- A servant will not be corrected by words: for though he understand he will not answer.
- Seest thou a man that is hasty in his words? there is more hope of a fool than of him.
- He that delicately bringeth up his servant from a child shall have him become his son at the length.
- An angry man stirreth up strife, and a furious man aboundeth in transgression.
- A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.
- Whoso is partner with a thief hateth his own soul: he heareth cursing, and bewrayeth it not.
- The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe.
- Many seek the ruler's favour; but every man's judgment cometh from the LORD.
- An unjust man is an abomination to the just: and he that is upright in the way is abomination to the wicked.
Back to Top
Today's proverb has been often quoted, but frequently applied incorrectly. Normally we hear this verse preached in the following manner: "If we don't get a vision for lost souls, then they will perish in the Lake of Fire." While this is certainly a true statement, and I believe that we would do well to get a good look at Who the Lord is and to see the unsaved in their condition, this is not what is being taught in this verse.
You may click on verses for Scripture
Throughout the Old Testament when the word "vision" is used it is not normally referring to what a man sees through either his physical or spiritual eyes. Instead it refers to the revelation of God. Sometimes this came through a vision or dream that one of the prophets would have, but not exclusively. In I Samuel 3:1 the Bible tells us,
"And the word of the LORD was precious in those days; there was no open vision.".
This meant that God was not supernaturally revealing Himself or His Word to man at that point. Thus, "vision" in today's verse refers to the revelation of the Word of God.
Let me put the principle this way: where there is no Bible, people perish. Since saving faith can only come through the Word of God (Rom. 10:17), if men do not have access to the Scriptures they will never be saved. Since it is the Word of God that keeps a man clean (John 15:3), a man will place himself on the path to destruction if he does not have the Scriptures.
There are three simple applications here. First, we need to do everything that we can to get the Bible into the hands of as many people as we can. Second, those of us who have a Bible need to read it and find out what it says. Third, we need to obey the teachings of Scripture, for knowing what the Bible says and ignoring It is no better than not having a Bible at all.
What are you doing with the "vision" that God has given you?
Pastor Mark J Montgomery