Pathways Through Proverbs
September 4, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 4
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.
- For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.
- For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.
- He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.
- Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
- Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
- Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
- Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.
- She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.
- Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many.
- I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths.
- When thou goest, thy steps shall not be straitened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble.
- Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life.
- Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men.
- Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.
- For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.
- For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence.
- But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
- The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble.
- My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings.
- Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.
- For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.
- Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
- Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.
- Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee.
- Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established.
- Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.
Back to Top
Solomon gives his son advice in today's verse concerning how he should treat the pathways of the wicked. He could have simply said to stay away from them, but he is so impassioned about it that he uses four different statements to express his view. The repetition here shows that Solomon is very concerned about what will happen to his son if he gets on the wrong road, so he wants him to eschew it at all costs.
You may click on verses for Scripture
He tells him first of all to avoid it. That means that he is not to get anywhere near it. Some people seem to think that they can get close to sin and not be affected by it, but Solomon in his wisdom tells his son to shun it altogether. If he does see it off in the distance, he is instructed to pass not by it. He needs to find another road to take that will bypass the iniquity that lies ahead. Even though the new path may be inconvenient and take him out of his way, it is a far better choice than walking near temptation. If it comes up to him, he is to turn away from it, not only changing his direction but also averting his eyes from that which would lead him astray. Finally, if that isn't enough and the temptation persists, he is instructed to get away from it as quickly as possible.
Here are the four steps to avoiding sin. Don't go near it. If you wind up near it, get on a different path. If it comes up towards you, turn away. If it continues to bother you, run away. If we will apply these four principles, we will save ourselves much heartache and we will prosper in our relationship with the Lord.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery