Pathways Through Proverbs
September 13, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 13
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- A wise son heareth his father's instruction: but a scorner heareth not rebuke.
- A man shall eat good by the fruit of his mouth: but the soul of the transgressors shall eat violence.
- He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life: but he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction.
- The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing: but the soul of the diligent shall be made fat.
- A righteous man hateth lying: but a wicked man is loathsome, and cometh to shame.
- Righteousness keepeth him that is upright in the way: but wickedness overthroweth the sinner.
- There is that maketh himself rich, yet hath nothing: there is that maketh himself poor, yet hath great riches.
- The ransom of a man's life are his riches: but the poor heareth not rebuke.
- The light of the righteous rejoiceth: but the lamp of the wicked shall be put out.
- Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom.
- Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished: but he that gathereth by labour shall increase.
- Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life.
- Whoso despiseth the word shall be destroyed: but he that feareth the commandment shall be rewarded.
- The law of the wise is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.
- Good understanding giveth favour: but the way of transgressors is hard.
- Every prudent man dealeth with knowledge: but a fool layeth open his folly.
- A wicked messenger falleth into mischief: but a faithful ambassador is health.
- Poverty and shame shall be to him that refuseth instruction: but he that regardeth reproof shall be honoured.
- The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul: but it is abomination to fools to depart from evil.
- He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.
- Evil pursueth sinners: but to the righteous good shall be repayed.
- A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children: and the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the just.
- Much food is in the tillage of the poor: but there is that is destroyed for want of judgment.
- He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
- The righteous eateth to the satisfying of his soul: but the belly of the wicked shall want.
Back to Top
When a man has a Biblical understanding of how to handle a given situation, the end result brings him favor. In other words, he receives a blessing from applying Scriptural wisdom. Not only does God bless him, but I believe the passage indicates that the consequences of his right actions bring a blessing to him as well.
You may click on verses for Scripture
It is the contrast to this that I wish to focus on today. Solomon writes,
"the way of transgressors is hard."
This means that the results of the sinful man's foolish decisions will ultimately bring him grief and pain. He may think that he is having a good time while he is violating Biblical truth, but he will someday suffer for his choices.
We understand that someday every man will stand before God to give an account of his life. At that point, we know that the fool will receive what he deserves. However, I believe that this passage indicates that the transgressor will have a hard time even in this life. There are numerous examples of this fact that can be seen all around us. The man who refuses to abstain from alcohol winds up as a drunkard, or ruins his marriage, or commits a crime under the influence. The man who smokes gives himself cancer. The recreational drug user gets addicted, or fails his random drug test so that he loses his job. The man who looks at pornography finds that it takes control of his life and ruins his testimony and his marriage. The sluggard winds up in economic hardship because no one will hire him. The man who can't control his temper winds up with no spouse and no friends. The man who lives only for today wakes up tomorrow unprepared. Illustration after illustration like these could be given.
The path of sin is a difficult one. That which looks like it will bring pleasure winds up bringing only pain. Choose wisely, so that your decisions will produce blessings in your life.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery