Pathways Through Proverbs
September 16, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 16
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- The preparations of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue, is from the LORD.
- All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the LORD weigheth the spirits.
- Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.
- The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.
- Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.
- By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.
- When a man's ways please the LORD, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.
- Better is a little with righteousness than great revenues without right.
- A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.
- A divine sentence is in the lips of the king: his mouth transgresseth not in judgment.
- A just weight and balance are the LORD'S: all the weights of the bag are his work.
- It is an abomination to kings to commit wickedness: for the throne is established by righteousness.
- Righteous lips are the delight of kings; and they love him that speaketh right.
- The wrath of a king is as messengers of death: but a wise man will pacify it.
- In the light of the king's countenance is life; and his favour is as a cloud of the latter rain.
- How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!
- The highway of the upright is to depart from evil: he that keepeth his way preserveth his soul.
- Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
- Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.
- He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he.
- The wise in heart shall be called prudent: and the sweetness of the lips increaseth learning.
- Understanding is a wellspring of life unto him that hath it: but the instruction of fools is folly.
- The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth, and addeth learning to his lips.
- Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
- There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
- He that laboureth laboureth for himself; for his mouth craveth it of him.
- An ungodly man diggeth up evil: and in his lips there is as a burning fire.
- A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends.
- A violent man enticeth his neighbour, and leadeth him into the way that is not good.
- He shutteth his eyes to devise froward things: moving his lips he bringeth evil to pass.
- The hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness.
- He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.
- The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the LORD.
Back to Top
In today's verse we see the relationship between the plans of man and the sovereign direction of the Lord. Man makes plans for the future, but the Lord directs the steps of every man.
You may click on verses for Scripture
Once again I see several applications of this principle. First of all, I believe that it is good for a man to plan ahead. A man needs to make preparations for his future, for his areas of ministry, and for his family. However, as we make those plans, we need to do them under the leadership of the Holy Spirit and with the understanding that the Lord can change those plans at any time He so chooses for any purpose that He wishes. Many men get upset when the Lord interferes with their goals for their lives. God may call them into full time service, or may call their children to serve Him in far away lands. He may change their areas of ministry as He did with Paul in Acts 16:6-10. Regardless of what the Lord may do with our plans, the child of God needs to understand that the Lord not only has the right to do so, but everything He does is for our good. Therefore, we must be willing to allow Him to direct our steps even though His path may lead away from the one we had chosen.
Second, I believe we see once again that God also can intervene in the lives of the ungodly. The king's heart is in the Lord's hand (Prov. 21:1) and he can even use the wrath of man to praise His name (Psalm 76:10). Therefore, when the wicked man plans out his rebellion against the Lord, God can change his ways as well.
My Christian friend, don't be afraid to make plans for the future. However, be willing to allow God to direct your steps and even change your plans if that is what He deems to be best.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery