Pathways Through Proverbs
October 10, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 10
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- The proverbs of Solomon. A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish son is the heaviness of his mother.
- Treasures of wickedness profit nothing: but righteousness delivereth from death.
- The LORD will not suffer the soul of the righteous to famish: but he casteth away the substance of the wicked.
- He becometh poor that dealeth with a slack hand: but the hand of the diligent maketh rich.
- He that gathereth in summer is a wise son: but he that sleepeth in harvest is a son that causeth shame.
- Blessings are upon the head of the just: but violence covereth the mouth of the wicked.
- The memory of the just is blessed: but the name of the wicked shall rot.
- The wise in heart will receive commandments: but a prating fool shall fall.
- He that walketh uprightly walketh surely: but he that perverteth his ways shall be known.
- He that winketh with the eye causeth sorrow: but a prating fool shall fall.
- The mouth of a righteous man is a well of life: but violence covereth the mouth of the wicked.
- Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins.
- In the lips of him that hath understanding wisdom is found: but a rod is for the back of him that is void of understanding.
- Wise men lay up knowledge: but the mouth of the foolish is near destruction.
- The rich man's wealth is his strong city: the destruction of the poor is their poverty.
- The labour of the righteous tendeth to life: the fruit of the wicked to sin.
- He is in the way of life that keepeth instruction: but he that refuseth reproof erreth.
- He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool.
- In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise.
- The tongue of the just is as choice silver: the heart of the wicked is little worth.
- The lips of the righteous feed many: but fools die for want of wisdom.
- The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.
- It is as sport to a fool to do mischief: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.
- The fear of the wicked, it shall come upon him: but the desire of the righteous shall be granted.
- As the whirlwind passeth, so is the wicked no more: but the righteous is an everlasting foundation.
- As vinegar to the teeth, and as smoke to the eyes, so is the sluggard to them that send him.
- The fear of the LORD prolongeth days: but the years of the wicked shall be shortened.
- The hope of the righteous shall be gladness: but the expectation of the wicked shall perish.
- The way of the LORD is strength to the upright: but destruction shall be to the workers of iniquity.
- The righteous shall never be removed: but the wicked shall not inhabit the earth.
- The mouth of the just bringeth forth wisdom: but the froward tongue shall be cut out.
- The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable: but the mouth of the wicked speaketh frowardness.
Back to Top
It seems that it our modern society we no longer understand what acceptable speech is. We live in a generation that is consumed with profanity, blasphemy, and vulgarity. It is almost impossible to view or listen to any form of secular media or entertainment without hearing language that should be offensive to anyone, particularly a child of God. Yet not only do believers tolerate it, they actually use it. It is appalling to hear Christians taking the name of the Lord in vain. I have heard Baptist church members use various crude and vulgar terms that, while not technically being swear words, are certainly inappropriate for use by a believer. Just this past week I spoke with another pastor who has found some of his church teens on Internet sites like MySpace and Facebook with blogs containing the most vile of language. Then when he preached about it, some of the adults confronted him about getting worked up over nothing! There is something very wrong here.
You may click on verses for Scripture
Inappropriate speech is not limited to swear words. I hear spouses say awful things to each other, parents say awful things to their children (and vice versa), and siblings say awful things to each other. Hateful insults flow from the lips of people who are supposed to love each other. Again, this is not confined to the unsaved world. Also, go to the average Christian school or youth group and you will hear over in the corner some supposedly saved kids talking about issues that are inappropriate. They talk about wicked television shows, movies, or music. They gossip. They criticize. Unfortunately, they have probably learned about these things under the leadership of their parents.
What is the problem? These people lack righteousness. A man who is right with God knows what words he should use and what topics he should discuss. A man who has filled his heart with the things of God will have those things overflow his lips, and this will be the theme of his conversations. Those who have filled their hearts with wickedness will find that their lips overflow with the vileness of the world.
What do your lips say about you?
Pastor Mark J Montgomery