Pathways Through Proverbs
November 2, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 2
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
- So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
- Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
- If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
- Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.
- For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.
- He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly.
- He keepeth the paths of judgment, and preserveth the way of his saints.
- Then shalt thou understand righteousness, and judgment, and equity; yea, every good path.
- When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul;
- Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee:
- To deliver thee from the way of the evil man, from the man that speaketh froward things;
- Who leave the paths of uprightness, to walk in the ways of darkness;
- Who rejoice to do evil, and delight in the frowardness of the wicked;
- Whose ways are crooked, and they froward in their paths:
- To deliver thee from the strange woman, even from the stranger which flattereth with her words;
- Which forsaketh the guide of her youth, and forgetteth the covenant of her God.
- For her house inclineth unto death, and her paths unto the dead.
- None that go unto her return again, neither take they hold of the paths of life.
- That thou mayest walk in the way of good men, and keep the paths of the righteous.
- For the upright shall dwell in the land, and the perfect shall remain in it.
- But the wicked shall be cut off from the earth, and the transgressors shall be rooted out of it.
Back to Top
Today's proverb is very simple, yet it is vital that we never forget the truth that it teaches. All true wisdom comes from the Lord. Men will search high and low for wisdom. They will pay vast sums of money to try to receive it. Yet they will never find it apart from the Word of God.
You may click on verses for Scripture
II Timothy 3 tells us that in the last days evil men would be all around us. Verse seven states that one of their characteristics would be that they are "ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.". In our society we see a great increase in education. People have more college and graduate school degrees now than at any time in history, yet we continually see people making incredibly foolish decisions, particularly in the area of spiritual issues. People are very knowledgeable about the world and culture around them, yet they are ignorant of that which really matters because they have not chosen to follow God.
It is from God's mouth that knowledge and understanding come. I am thankful for preachers and Bible teachers, yet the only truth they possess is that which comes from the Bible. Regardless of a man's "expertise" or oratorical skills, he has nothing to offer if he is not rightly dividing and expounding the Scriptures. This is why we must be careful not to elevate men too highly. A man's teaching is only as valid as his commitment to the Word of God, and we must judge all teachers and learning by that standard.
Where do you get your "wisdom" from? If it isn't from the Lord, you really don't have any at all.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery