Pathways Through Proverbs
November 4, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 4
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.
- For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.
- For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.
- He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.
- Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
- Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
- Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
- Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.
- She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.
- Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many.
- I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths.
- When thou goest, thy steps shall not be straitened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble.
- Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life.
- Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men.
- Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.
- For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.
- For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence.
- But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
- The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble.
- My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings.
- Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.
- For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.
- Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
- Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.
- Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee.
- Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established.
- Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.
Back to Top
Solomon has used many different ways to show the importance of wisdom throughout the book of Proverbs. In today's verse he gives yet another: wisdom is "thy life."
You may click on verses for Scripture
If a man is going to be able to function in this world, he can only do it through wisdom. Apart from the spiritual benefits of obeying the principles found in the Scriptures, there are numerous practical benefits as well. A man who is diligent in his labors will prosper. A man who chooses to live with a Biblical lifestyle will not ruin himself. A man who wants to have friends needs to be a friend himself. Thus, if I am going to have a successful life here on earth wisdom is absolutely necessary.
Of greater importance is wisdom's roll in my spiritual life. If I want to be acceptable in God's eyes; if I want to be able to influence others for the Lord; if I want to have a Christ-honoring home, then I need to listen to the words of wisdom and apply them directly to my life. A man's eternal destiny is based upon his acceptance or rejection of the wisdom of receiving Christ as Savior. For the believer, his reward or loss thereof at the Judgment Seat will be based upon his choices to hold to or ignore the wisdom of the Scriptures.
Failure to keep wisdom is a prescription for destruction. Foolishness will destroy your life in all areas: economic, social, familial, and spiritual. Choosing to receive instruction and use it in every aspect of life will bring the blessings of God.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery