Pathways Through Proverbs
December 4, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 4
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.
- For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.
- For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.
- He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.
- Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
- Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
- Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
- Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.
- She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.
- Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many.
- I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths.
- When thou goest, thy steps shall not be straitened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble.
- Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life.
- Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men.
- Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.
- For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.
- For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence.
- But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
- The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble.
- My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings.
- Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.
- For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.
- Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
- Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.
- Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee.
- Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established.
- Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.
Back to Top
The word "her" in today's verse refers to wisdom. Two statements are given here concerning wisdom. The first is that it should not be forsaken. This implies that the person has found wisdom, and now must choose whether or not to put that wisdom into practice. It would be very foolish to know what you should do and yet not do it. If wisdom is not forsaken, the promise is given that it will preserve the individual. This will happen because wisdom will allow him to make choices that will both please the Lord and benefit himself.
You may click on verses for Scripture
It is the second statement that I want to pay particular attention to. It says that if we love wisdom it will keep us. Just as there is a difference between having a spouse and loving your spouse, I believe that there is a big difference between having wisdom and loving wisdom. There are people who make the right decisions, but they do so in a grudging manner. They make the wise choice, but in their heart they would really rather choose foolishly. I think that it could be said of these people that they do not "love" wisdom.
It is important that we learn to love wisdom. If we do not love it, eventually we will reject it, or not seek after it at all. In addition, even though we may make a correct decision, the Lord knows that we did so with an impure heart, and this will displease him. However, once we choose to love the wisdom of God, then we will desire to have it, and when we have found it we will use it in every area of life.
Do you love wisdom?
Pastor Mark J Montgomery