Pathways Through Proverbs
December 8, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 8
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- Doth not wisdom cry? and understanding put forth her voice?
- She standeth in the top of high places, by the way in the places of the paths.
- She crieth at the gates, at the entry of the city, at the coming in at the doors.
- Unto you, O men, I call; and my voice is to the sons of man.
- O ye simple, understand wisdom: and, ye fools, be ye of an understanding heart.
- Hear; for I will speak of excellent things; and the opening of my lips shall be right things.
- For my mouth shall speak truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
- All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them.
- They are all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that find knowledge.
- Receive my instruction, and not silver; and knowledge rather than choice gold.
- For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.
- I wisdom dwell with prudence, and find out knowledge of witty inventions.
- The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.
- Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom: I am understanding; I have strength.
- By me kings reign, and princes decree justice.
- By me princes rule, and nobles, even all the judges of the earth.
- I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.
- Riches and honour are with me; yea, durable riches and righteousness.
- My fruit is better than gold, yea, than fine gold; and my revenue than choice silver.
- I lead in the way of righteousness, in the midst of the paths of judgment:
- That I may cause those that love me to inherit substance; and I will fill their treasures.
- The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.
- I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.
- When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.
- Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:
- While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.
- When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:
- When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep:
- When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:
- Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him;
- Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights were with the sons of men.
- Now therefore hearken unto me, O ye children: for blessed are they that keep my ways.
- Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not.
- Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.
- For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the LORD.
- But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death.
Back to Top
The "me" in this passage of Scripture is wisdom. There are several statements given in this verse that show us the proper attitude towards wisdom. First, we are to listen to it. Many people have an opportunity to receive truth, and yet don't take that opportunity. Their church is meeting, and the Bible will be preached and taught, but they choose to do something else. They can take a few minutes out of their schedule to spend time reading the Word, but they would rather spend that time in some other way. Revelation 1:3 pronounces a blessing upon those who read and hear the Scriptures, and this verse echoes that thought.
You may click on verses for Scripture
Second, we are to watch for wisdom. In order to accomplish this we must first get to the place where wisdom will be offered. Solomon speaks of watching at wisdom's gates and waiting at the posts of wisdom's doors. Many people fail to receive instruction because they do not spend time in places where wisdom is being dispensed. Where is a man more likely to find Biblical knowledge: in a New Testament church service or in his living room watching prime time television? The answer is obvious, yet many folks choose the living room. Men will spend their free time with the ungodly rather than with believers, and then wonder why their lives seem to be so messed up and why they can't ever seem to make a right choice.
In addition, we must look for opportunities to receive wisdom. Solomon says to watch and wait for it. There are many "teachable moments" that occur throughout the day, and many lessons that we can learn if we will only watch for them. Perhaps we will not receive instruction immediately. That is not a problem; we must simply wait on the Lord and He will give us what we need.
Wisdom is available to those who will look for it and listen to it. Get to the places where it can be found, wait patiently, and then apply what you learn.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery