Pathways Through Proverbs
December 15, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 15
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.
- The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness.
- The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.
- A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit.
- A fool despiseth his father's instruction: but he that regardeth reproof is prudent.
- In the house of the righteous is much treasure: but in the revenues of the wicked is trouble.
- The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.
- The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD: but the prayer of the upright is his delight.
- The way of the wicked is an abomination unto the LORD: but he loveth him that followeth after righteousness.
- Correction is grievous unto him that forsaketh the way: and he that hateth reproof shall die.
- Hell and destruction are before the LORD: how much more then the hearts of the children of men?
- A scorner loveth not one that reproveth him: neither will he go unto the wise.
- A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.
- The heart of him that hath understanding seeketh knowledge: but the mouth of fools feedeth on foolishness.
- All the days of the afflicted are evil: but he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast.
- Better is little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and trouble therewith.
- Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith.
- A wrathful man stirreth up strife: but he that is slow to anger appeaseth strife.
- The way of the slothful man is as an hedge of thorns: but the way of the righteous is made plain.
- A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish man despiseth his mother.
- Folly is joy to him that is destitute of wisdom: but a man of understanding walketh uprightly.
- Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellors they are established.
- A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word spoken in due season, how good is it!
- The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath.
- The LORD will destroy the house of the proud: but he will establish the border of the widow.
- The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the LORD: but the words of the pure are pleasant words.
- He that is greedy of gain troubleth his own house; but he that hateth gifts shall live.
- The heart of the righteous studieth to answer: but the mouth of the wicked poureth out evil things.
- The LORD is far from the wicked: but he heareth the prayer of the righteous.
- The light of the eyes rejoiceth the heart: and a good report maketh the bones fat.
- The ear that heareth the reproof of life abideth among the wise.
- He that refuseth instruction despiseth his own soul: but he that heareth reproof getteth understanding.
- The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.
Back to Top
There is nothing that the Lord does not know. He is an omniscient and omnipresent God, therefore nothing escapes His eye and His understanding. In today's verse Solomon opens with the observation that Hell and destruction are before the Lord. God sees Hell. He sees men once their lives have ended. He sees them in their time of punishment. He sees them long after those still on earth have forgotten about them. In addition, He sees destruction. The Hebrew word used there is the word "abaddon", which not only means destruction, but is also used as a name for the angel of the bottomless pit in Revelation 9:11. Thus, the Lord sees all the punishments of Hell, and he also knows and understands the devil and the demons of Hell.
You may click on verses for Scripture
With this in mind, Solomon observes that if God understands all these things which are eternal and unseen, then he certainly understands the thoughts and workings of the human heart. If he can see into Hell itself, then he can see inside of a man. If he has knowledge of the demonic world, then he has understanding of the mind of man.
The application of this verse is obvious. God knows all about me, so I had better be right with Him. He not only sees what I do, but He sees what I think. He understands my motivations and my attitude. I may be able to deceive those around me as to what I really am, but the Lord will not be deceived.
My heart is open before the eyes of the Lord. So is yours. What does He see, that others do not?
Pastor Mark J Montgomery