March 3, 2007
Click above for full KJV Online
Thought for the day:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Following Scripture Verses
Click above to go directly to TFD
- Therefore thou shalt love the LORD thy God, and keep his charge, and his statutes, and his judgments, and his commandments, alway.
- And know ye this day: for I speak not with your children which have not known, and which have not seen the chastisement of the LORD your God, his greatness, his mighty hand, and his stretched out arm,
- And his miracles, and his acts, which he did in the midst of Egypt unto Pharaoh the king of Egypt, and unto all his land;
- And what he did unto the army of Egypt, unto their horses, and to their chariots; how he made the water of the Red sea to overflow them as they pursued after you, and how the LORD hath destroyed them unto this day;
- And what he did unto you in the wilderness, until ye came into this place;
- And what he did unto Dathan and Abiram, the sons of Eliab, the son of Reuben: how the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their households, and their tents, and all the substance that was in their possession, in the midst of all Israel:
- But your eyes have seen all the great acts of the LORD which he did.
- Therefore shall ye keep all the commandments which I command you this day, that ye may be strong, and go in and possess the land, whither ye go to possess it;
- And that ye may prolong your days in the land, which the LORD sware unto your fathers to give unto them and to their seed, a land that floweth with milk and honey.
- For the land, whither thou goest in to possess it, is not as the land of Egypt, from whence ye came out, where thou sowedst thy seed, and wateredst it with thy foot, as a garden of herbs:
- But the land, whither ye go to possess it, is a land of hills and valleys, and drinketh water of the rain of heaven:
- A land which the LORD thy God careth for: the eyes of the LORD thy God are always upon it, from the beginning of the year even unto the end of the year.
- And it shall come to pass, if ye shall hearken diligently unto my commandments which I command you this day, to love the LORD your God, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul,
- That I will give you the rain of your land in his due season, the first rain and the latter rain, that thou mayest gather in thy corn, and thy wine, and thine oil.
- And I will send grass in thy fields for thy cattle, that thou mayest eat and be full.
- Take heed to yourselves, that your heart be not deceived, and ye turn aside, and serve other gods, and worship them;
- And then the LORD'S wrath be kindled against you, and he shut up the heaven, that there be no rain, and that the land yield not her fruit; and lest ye perish quickly from off the good land which the LORD giveth you.
- Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they may be as frontlets between your eyes.
- And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
- And thou shalt write them upon the door posts of thine house, and upon thy gates:
- That your days may be multiplied, and the days of your children, in the land which the LORD sware unto your fathers to give them, as the days of heaven upon the earth.
- For if ye shall diligently keep all these commandments which I command you, to do them, to love the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, and to cleave unto him;
- Then will the LORD drive out all these nations from before you, and ye shall possess greater nations and mightier than yourselves.
- Every place whereon the soles of your feet shall tread shall be yours: from the wilderness and Lebanon, from the river, the river Euphrates, even unto the uttermost sea shall your coast be.
- There shall no man be able to stand before you: for the LORD your God shall lay the fear of you and the dread of you upon all the land that ye shall tread upon, as he hath said unto you.
- Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse;
- A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day:
- And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day, to go after other gods, which ye have not known.
- And it shall come to pass, when the LORD thy God hath brought thee in unto the land whither thou goest to possess it, that thou shalt put the blessing upon mount Gerizim, and the curse upon mount Ebal.
- Are they not on the other side Jordan, by the way where the sun goeth down, in the land of the Canaanites, which dwell in the champaign over against Gilgal, beside the plains of Moreh?
- For ye shall pass over Jordan to go in to possess the land which the LORD your God giveth you, and ye shall possess it, and dwell therein.
- And ye shall observe to do all the statutes and judgments which I set before you this day.
Back to Top
- These are the statutes and judgments, which ye shall observe to do in the land, which the LORD God of thy fathers giveth thee to possess it, all the days that ye live upon the earth.
- Ye shall utterly destroy all the places, wherein the nations which ye shall possess served their gods, upon the high mountains, and upon the hills, and under every green tree:
- And ye shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars, and burn their groves with fire; and ye shall hew down the graven images of their gods, and destroy the names of them out of that place.
- Ye shall not do so unto the LORD your God.
- But unto the place which the LORD your God shall choose out of all your tribes to put his name there, even unto his habitation shall ye seek, and thither thou shalt come:
- And thither ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, and your tithes, and heave offerings of your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks:
- And there ye shall eat before the LORD your God, and ye shall rejoice in all that ye put your hand unto, ye and your households, wherein the LORD thy God hath blessed thee.
- Ye shall not do after all the things that we do here this day, every man whatsoever is right in his own eyes.
- For ye are not as yet come to the rest and to the inheritance, which the LORD your God giveth you.
- But when ye go over Jordan, and dwell in the land which the LORD your God giveth you to inherit, and when he giveth you rest from all your enemies round about, so that ye dwell in safety;
- Then there shall be a place which the LORD your God shall choose to cause his name to dwell there; thither shall ye bring all that I command you; your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, your tithes, and the heave offering of your hand, and all your choice vows which ye vow unto the LORD:
- And ye shall rejoice before the LORD your God, ye, and your sons, and your daughters, and your menservants, and your maidservants, and the Levite that is within your gates; forasmuch as he hath no part nor inheritance with you.
- Take heed to thyself that thou offer not thy burnt offerings in every place that thou seest:
- But in the place which the LORD shall choose in one of thy tribes, there thou shalt offer thy burnt offerings, and there thou shalt do all that I command thee.
- Notwithstanding thou mayest kill and eat flesh in all thy gates, whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, according to the blessing of the LORD thy God which he hath given thee: the unclean and the clean may eat thereof, as of the roebuck, and as of the hart.
- Only ye shall not eat the blood; ye shall pour it upon the earth as water.
- Thou mayest not eat within thy gates the tithe of thy corn, or of thy wine, or of thy oil, or the firstlings of thy herds or of thy flock, nor any of thy vows which thou vowest, nor thy freewill offerings, or heave offering of thine hand:
- But thou must eat them before the LORD thy God in the place which the LORD thy God shall choose, thou, and thy son, and thy daughter, and thy manservant, and thy maidservant, and the Levite that is within thy gates: and thou shalt rejoice before the LORD thy God in all that thou puttest thine hands unto.
- Take heed to thyself that thou forsake not the Levite as long as thou livest upon the earth.
- When the LORD thy God shall enlarge thy border, as he hath promised thee, and thou shalt say, I will eat flesh, because thy soul longeth to eat flesh; thou mayest eat flesh, whatsoever thy soul lusteth after.
- If the place which the LORD thy God hath chosen to put his name there be too far from thee, then thou shalt kill of thy herd and of thy flock, which the LORD hath given thee, as I have commanded thee, and thou shalt eat in thy gates whatsoever thy soul lusteth after.
- Even as the roebuck and the hart is eaten, so thou shalt eat them: the unclean and the clean shall eat of them alike.
- Only be sure that thou eat not the blood: for the blood is the life; and thou mayest not eat the life with the flesh.
- Thou shalt not eat it; thou shalt pour it upon the earth as water.
- Thou shalt not eat it; that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee, when thou shalt do that which is right in the sight of the LORD.
- Only thy holy things which thou hast, and thy vows, thou shalt take, and go unto the place which the LORD shall choose:
- And thou shalt offer thy burnt offerings, the flesh and the blood, upon the altar of the LORD thy God: and the blood of thy sacrifices shall be poured out upon the altar of the LORD thy God, and thou shalt eat the flesh.
- Observe and hear all these words which I command thee, that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee for ever, when thou doest that which is good and right in the sight of the LORD thy God.
- When the LORD thy God shall cut off the nations from before thee, whither thou goest to possess them, and thou succeedest them, and dwellest in their land;
- Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou enquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise.
- Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God: for every abomination to the LORD, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.
- What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.
Back to Top
- If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder,
- And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;
- Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.
- Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.
- And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn you away from the LORD your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to thrust thee out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee.
- If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;
- Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;
- Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:
- But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.
- And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
- And all Israel shall hear, and fear, and shall do no more any such wickedness as this is among you.
- If thou shalt hear say in one of thy cities, which the LORD thy God hath given thee to dwell there, saying,
- Certain men, the children of Belial, are gone out from among you, and have withdrawn the inhabitants of their city, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye have not known;
- Then shalt thou enquire, and make search, and ask diligently; and, behold, if it be truth, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought among you;
- Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword.
- And thou shalt gather all the spoil of it into the midst of the street thereof, and shalt burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof every whit, for the LORD thy God: and it shall be an heap for ever; it shall not be built again.
- And there shall cleave nought of the cursed thing to thine hand: that the LORD may turn from the fierceness of his anger, and shew thee mercy, and have compassion upon thee, and multiply thee, as he hath sworn unto thy fathers;
- When thou shalt hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep all his commandments which I command thee this day, to do that which is right in the eyes of the LORD thy God.
Back to Top
Thought for the day:
You may click on verses for Scripture
The Charismatic/Pentecostal movement is running rampant through Evangelical circles today. For nearly 1900 years of church history there were no "charismatics", for the Biblical sign gifts had ceased ("But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away" -
I Cor. 13:10), and only a few heretical groups involved themselves in any form of mysticism. Around the beginning of the twentieth century some folks began to speak in tongues once again, and the modern "Charismatic Movement" was born. However, even fifty years ago the Pentecostals were on the back-burner of Christianity. They were few in number, and limited in their influence. They were considered to be "holy rollers', and a group more likely to be viewed as entertaining rather than edifying. In recent years, this movement has risen in prominence, until many large churches subscribe to its teachings, and its impact is felt throughout Christianity. It is the driving force behind movements such as "Promise Keepers", and provides much of the impetus of the Contemporary Christian Music fiasco. What has been the draw for this movement, and why has it had such an impact on Christianity? The answer seems to be clear: it claims to have signs and wonders, visions and dreams, and marvelous miracles.
In Deuteronomy 13: 1-3, Moses gives this warning:
" If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder, And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them; Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams..."
Learn here an important truth: the fact that someone does something amazing does not mean that his message is from God. Moses clearly shows in the verses above that it is possible for someone to have a vision, or make a prophecy that comes true, or even produce something miraculous, and yet not be sent by God. The fact is that all doctrine and teaching must be analyzed according to the Biblical soundness of its message, not the wondrous nature of its accompanying signs.
Verse five goes so far as to say that the miracle worker who leads people away from God and His Word was not simply to be rejected; he was to be put to death.
Revelation 13:13-14 tells about the rise of the False Prophet who will point men towards the AntiChrist during the Tribulation. It says,
"And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men, And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do..."
If the False Prophet of the Tribulation can produce signs and wonders, there seems to be no doubt that there would be false prophets today who could also produce signs and wonders. This is not to say that everyone who claims to do miracles today is unsaved. However, much of the modern Charismatic movement believes that salvation can be lost, thus not only denying the Biblical doctrine of the eternal security of the believer, but also adding works to grace for salvation. Since the Bible teaches that eternal life can never be lost (
John 10:28), and that works have no place in salvation (
Eph. 2:9), the doctrine that salvation can be lost is false - regardless of how many miraculous events take place.
The first Baptist Distinctive is "The Bible is our only rule for Faith and Practice". One of the rallying cries of the Reformation was "Sola Scriptura" - "Only the Scriptures". It is through the Word of God that believers are warned and rewarded (
Psalm 19:11). May it be the complete Authority for every belief we hold and every decision we make.
Pastor Dr. Mark J Montgomery