Pathways Through Proverbs
May 3, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 3
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:
- For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.
- Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:
- So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man.
- Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
- In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
- Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
- It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.
- Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:
- So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.
- My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction:
- For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.
- Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.
- For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold.
- She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.
- Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour.
- Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.
- She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her.
- The LORD by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens.
- By his knowledge the depths are broken up, and the clouds drop down the dew.
- My son, let not them depart from thine eyes: keep sound wisdom and discretion:
- So shall they be life unto thy soul, and grace to thy neck.
- Then shalt thou walk in thy way safely, and thy foot shall not stumble.
- When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid: yea, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet.
- Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked, when it cometh.
- For the LORD shall be thy confidence, and shall keep thy foot from being taken.
- Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it.
- Say not unto thy neighbour, Go, and come again, and to morrow I will give; when thou hast it by thee.
- Devise not evil against thy neighbour, seeing he dwelleth securely by thee.
- Strive not with a man without cause, if he have done thee no harm.
- Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways.
- For the froward is abomination to the LORD: but his secret is with the righteous.
- The curse of the LORD is in the house of the wicked: but he blesseth the habitation of the just.
- Surely he scorneth the scorners: but he giveth grace unto the lowly.
- The wise shall inherit glory: but shame shall be the promotion of fools.
Back to Top
Today's principle is very simple: when you have an opportunity to do good to someone, do it. If we would take the time to notice them, there are numerous incidents throughout the day when we can do something good for someone else. It may be something simple like offering a friendly greeting or making a phone call to someone who needs encouragement. It may be something more demanding, like giving a brother in need some money to get through the week until payday, or allowing him to borrow your car until his is returned by the mechanic. As a parent it may be playing a game with your children when there are other things that you would really rather do. As a husband it may be giving your wife some assistance around the house. As an employee it may be choosing to stay late at your own expense to help out your boss. These are all good things, and we should not withhold them.
You may click on verses for Scripture
The question becomes, to whom is it due? Certainly in a marriage relationship it is due between spouses. Since the parent/child relationship and the employer/employee relationship demand submission (Ephesians 5-6), it certainly must be due there. Since brothers and sisters in Christ are supposed to love one another, it must be due there. I believe that is even due to the unsaved, for our Lord's commission was for us to bring the lost to Him, and we will be hard pressed to do that if we refuse to do good to them when we have the chance. Since we are to owe no man anything but love (Romans 13:8), there seems to be no one that this principle can not apply to.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery