Pathways Through Proverbs
May 4, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 4
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.
- For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.
- For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.
- He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.
- Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
- Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
- Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
- Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.
- She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.
- Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many.
- I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths.
- When thou goest, thy steps shall not be straitened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble.
- Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life.
- Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men.
- Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.
- For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.
- For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence.
- But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
- The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble.
- My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings.
- Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.
- For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.
- Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
- Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.
- Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee.
- Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established.
- Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.
Back to Top
Do you ever stop for a minute to think about the direction that your life is heading? Many of us seem to forge ahead without giving a whole lot of thought to the results of our decisions. Solomon gives his son some simple, yet far-reaching advice: ponder the path that you are travelling.
You may click on verses for Scripture
The word "ponder" is normally used to indicate that we need to be thinking about something. It implies that we are not simply giving the issue a passing thought, but we are taking the time to give serious consideration to what we are doing. The Hebrew word used here carries with it the idea of "weighing". Thus, the wise man will weigh the different options that he has. He will look down the road to try to see what the long range impact of his choices will be, and he will be willing to ask himself if this is really where he wants to wind up.
This Hebrew word comes from a root that means "to roll flat", and was used to signify the preparation of a road. Thus, not only should the believer consider where his path is leading, but he should also prepare himself to go down the correct path. It does no good for someone to look down the road, see a potential danger, and then continue on. He must be willing to make whatever changes are necessary so that he can arrive at the destination that the Lord has chosen for him.
Take some time right now, and ask yourself where you will be spiritually five years from now if you continue down the path you are currently on. If the answer isn't good, then prepare yourself to change directions today.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery