Pathways Through Proverbs
May 5, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 5
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- My son, attend unto my wisdom, and bow thine ear to my understanding:
- That thou mayest regard discretion, and that thy lips may keep knowledge.
- For the lips of a strange woman drop as an honeycomb, and her mouth is smoother than oil:
- But her end is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a twoedged sword.
- Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell.
- Lest thou shouldest ponder the path of life, her ways are moveable, that thou canst not know them.
- Hear me now therefore, O ye children, and depart not from the words of my mouth.
- Remove thy way far from her, and come not nigh the door of her house:
- Lest thou give thine honour unto others, and thy years unto the cruel:
- Lest strangers be filled with thy wealth; and thy labours be in the house of a stranger;
- And thou mourn at the last, when thy flesh and thy body are consumed,
- And say, How have I hated instruction, and my heart despised reproof;
- And have not obeyed the voice of my teachers, nor inclined mine ear to them that instructed me!
- I was almost in all evil in the midst of the congregation and assembly.
- Drink waters out of thine own cistern, and running waters out of thine own well.
- Let thy fountains be dispersed abroad, and rivers of waters in the streets.
- Let them be only thine own, and not strangers' with thee.
- Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.
- Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.
- And why wilt thou, my son, be ravished with a strange woman, and embrace the bosom of a stranger?
- For the ways of man are before the eyes of the LORD, and he pondereth all his goings.
- His own iniquities shall take the wicked himself, and he shall be holden with the cords of his sins.
- He shall die without instruction; and in the greatness of his folly he shall go astray.
Back to Top
Appearances can be deceitful. The fact that a car looks nice does not mean that it actually runs well. A meal that is presented in a very appetizing fashion does not always taste good. A potential employee who received excellent grades in school may not turn out to be a very motivated worker. Thus, it is important for an individual to look a little deeper into situations before he makes a choice, because it is the end result that matters the most.
You may click on verses for Scripture
In today's verse we read about the end of the strange woman. We have looked at verse 3 previously, which tells us of her sweet and smooth speech that attempts to seduce a man into sin. However, before a man gives in to that temptation, he needs to understand that this woman's appearance is deceitful. She may seem sweet now, but her end is bitter. She may seem smooth now, but her end is sharp. Is this really what he wants?
In addition, I believe the implication of this verse is that if the woman's end is bitter and sharp, the foolish man's end will be the same. After all, if she attempts to seduce him, why should he think that she will not do the same with another man? Her character is to be a strange woman, and this is not going to stop simply because she has conquered him. The end result of a life with her will be bitterness and sharpness for both of them.
Ecclesiastes 7:8 says,
"Better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof".
Seek the Lord's wisdom to attempt to determine the end results of your decisions before you make them. It will save you from much heartache down the road.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery