Pathways Through Proverbs
May 7, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 7
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee.
- Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.
- Bind them upon thy fingers, write them upon the table of thine heart.
- Say unto wisdom, Thou art my sister; and call understanding thy kinswoman:
- That they may keep thee from the strange woman, from the stranger which flattereth with her words.
- For at the window of my house I looked through my casement,
- And beheld among the simple ones, I discerned among the youths, a young man void of understanding,
- Passing through the street near her corner; and he went the way to her house,
- In the twilight, in the evening, in the black and dark night:
- And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.
- (She is loud and stubborn; her feet abide not in her house:
- Now is she without, now in the streets, and lieth in wait at every corner.)
- So she caught him, and kissed him, and with an impudent face said unto him,
- I have peace offerings with me; this day have I payed my vows.
- Therefore came I forth to meet thee, diligently to seek thy face, and I have found thee.
- I have decked my bed with coverings of tapestry, with carved works, with fine linen of Egypt.
- I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.
- Come, let us take our fill of love until the morning: let us solace ourselves with loves.
- For the goodman is not at home, he is gone a long journey:
- He hath taken a bag of money with him, and will come home at the day appointed.
- With her much fair speech she caused him to yield, with the flattering of her lips she forced him.
- He goeth after her straightway, as an ox goeth to the slaughter, or as a fool to the correction of the stocks;
- Till a dart strike through his liver; as a bird hasteth to the snare, and knoweth not that it is for his life.
- Hearken unto me now therefore, O ye children, and attend to the words of my mouth.
- Let not thine heart decline to her ways, go not astray in her paths.
- For she hath cast down many wounded: yea, many strong men have been slain by her.
- Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.
Back to Top
Up until this point in chapter 7 we have focused on the bad decisions that the young man made that ultimately led him to commit immorality. Today we want to look at some of the character flaws of the woman. It is obvious from the chapter that she is the aggressor in the affair, but there were issues in her life that existed before this night began that contributed to her sinful behavior.
You may click on verses for Scripture
First of all, the Bible says that she was "loud and stubborn". Apparently this woman had a spirit that was clamorous. It could be that she was a nag to her husband. It could be that she was disagreeable with others that she came in contact with. It could be that she was upset all the time. Regardless of the specifics, she certainly was not the model of a lady that Peter had in mind when he spoke of the Godly woman as having "the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price." (I Peter 3:4). Going along with this was her trait of stubbornness. She did not want to be the type of woman that would please God and her husband. She was rebellious against both, and determined that she was going to do exactly as she pleased.
Finally, she was unwilling to stay in the position where God had placed her. She was not content to abide in her house. Her role was to provide for her home and her husband, but she was not content with that. She wanted to be out and about, once again doing what she pleased without regard to what anyone else, including God, thought.
Here is the principle: when a woman rebels against the Word of God and decides that she is going to live for herself and not be responsible to either her Lord or her husband, then she has opened the door for all kinds of sinful behavior. Be careful how you respond to the Scriptures today, for this will dictate what happens to you in the future.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery