Pathways Through Proverbs
July 13, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 13
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- A wise son heareth his father's instruction: but a scorner heareth not rebuke.
- A man shall eat good by the fruit of his mouth: but the soul of the transgressors shall eat violence.
- He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life: but he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction.
- The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing: but the soul of the diligent shall be made fat.
- A righteous man hateth lying: but a wicked man is loathsome, and cometh to shame.
- Righteousness keepeth him that is upright in the way: but wickedness overthroweth the sinner.
- There is that maketh himself rich, yet hath nothing: there is that maketh himself poor, yet hath great riches.
- The ransom of a man's life are his riches: but the poor heareth not rebuke.
- The light of the righteous rejoiceth: but the lamp of the wicked shall be put out.
- Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom.
- Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished: but he that gathereth by labour shall increase.
- Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life.
- Whoso despiseth the word shall be destroyed: but he that feareth the commandment shall be rewarded.
- The law of the wise is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.
- Good understanding giveth favour: but the way of transgressors is hard.
- Every prudent man dealeth with knowledge: but a fool layeth open his folly.
- A wicked messenger falleth into mischief: but a faithful ambassador is health.
- Poverty and shame shall be to him that refuseth instruction: but he that regardeth reproof shall be honoured.
- The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul: but it is abomination to fools to depart from evil.
- He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.
- Evil pursueth sinners: but to the righteous good shall be repayed.
- A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children: and the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the just.
- Much food is in the tillage of the poor: but there is that is destroyed for want of judgment.
- He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
- The righteous eateth to the satisfying of his soul: but the belly of the wicked shall want.
Back to Top
Have you ever known someone who was full of big ideas, but these ideas never materialized? I have met men who talk about the big house they are going to have some day, or the nice car that they will drive. Others talk about how they are going to make it in the business world, or even in professional sports. They talk a good game, but they do nothing to make these dreams a reality. They don't work at getting an education, nor at improving in their current job. They don't practice so that they can get better. They simply sit around and talk.
You may click on verses for Scripture
I know people who treat their Christian lives in the same fashion. They are going to have a devotional life, or perhaps read through the Bible in a year. They are going to build their Sunday school class or win their family members to Christ. Yet they never put any effort into making these things happen. Some pastors have goals of leading large congregations that impact the community for Christ, yet they refuse to spend time evangelizing the neighborhood or preparing appropriate messages for those who do attend. They whine about how their ministries are not progressing, yet the truth is that they are doing almost nothing to help their churches to advance.
No matter how much a lazy man dreams, he will never reach his goals. He will come to the end of his life unsuccessful and unfulfilled. However, the man who works diligently will find that he prospers in the things that he is doing. He will advance in his career. His ministry will grow. He will see lives changed as a result of God using his efforts. When his life draws to a conclusion, he will be able to look back with satisfaction at what was accomplished both for the Lord and in his personal life.
Are you a dreamer or a doer?
Pastor Mark J Montgomery