Pathways Through Proverbs
September 7, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 7
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee.
- Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.
- Bind them upon thy fingers, write them upon the table of thine heart.
- Say unto wisdom, Thou art my sister; and call understanding thy kinswoman:
- That they may keep thee from the strange woman, from the stranger which flattereth with her words.
- For at the window of my house I looked through my casement,
- And beheld among the simple ones, I discerned among the youths, a young man void of understanding,
- Passing through the street near her corner; and he went the way to her house,
- In the twilight, in the evening, in the black and dark night:
- And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.
- (She is loud and stubborn; her feet abide not in her house:
- Now is she without, now in the streets, and lieth in wait at every corner.)
- So she caught him, and kissed him, and with an impudent face said unto him,
- I have peace offerings with me; this day have I payed my vows.
- Therefore came I forth to meet thee, diligently to seek thy face, and I have found thee.
- I have decked my bed with coverings of tapestry, with carved works, with fine linen of Egypt.
- I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.
- Come, let us take our fill of love until the morning: let us solace ourselves with loves.
- For the goodman is not at home, he is gone a long journey:
- He hath taken a bag of money with him, and will come home at the day appointed.
- With her much fair speech she caused him to yield, with the flattering of her lips she forced him.
- He goeth after her straightway, as an ox goeth to the slaughter, or as a fool to the correction of the stocks;
- Till a dart strike through his liver; as a bird hasteth to the snare, and knoweth not that it is for his life.
- Hearken unto me now therefore, O ye children, and attend to the words of my mouth.
- Let not thine heart decline to her ways, go not astray in her paths.
- For she hath cast down many wounded: yea, many strong men have been slain by her.
- Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.
Back to Top
When we reach verse 19 we are coming to the final steps of foolishness that this man and woman take which result in the sin of adultery. After she has made all her appeals to him, she concludes by telling him that her husband isn't home, and won't be back for a long time because he has taken a bag of money with him. Here is what she is really saying, "Nobody will ever know."
You may click on verses for Scripture
I believe that this lie is one that the devil uses most frequently in his temptations. He will make a man believe that no one will ever find out about the sin that he is thinking about committing. A couple succumbs to fornication because they believe that no one will ever know. A man steals because he is sure that no one will ever discover that he did it. A student cheats on a test because the teacher will never know. A man looks at pornography because his wife will never know. Men in their foolishness and pride assume that, since no one is watching, no one will find out.
The Lord says,
"Be sure your sin will find you out" (Num. 32:23).
God sees all that we do, and He has a way of making those sins committed in darkness become revealed in the light. He knows how to catch us, and He knows how to humiliate us in front of those who we never wanted to find out about us.
Don't ever decide that you can get away with sin. Maybe no one else will see you, but God will. Even if He doesn't reveal yous sin to others immediately, you can be certain that He will deal with you about it in His time.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery