Pathways Through Proverbs
September 8, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 8
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- Doth not wisdom cry? and understanding put forth her voice?
- She standeth in the top of high places, by the way in the places of the paths.
- She crieth at the gates, at the entry of the city, at the coming in at the doors.
- Unto you, O men, I call; and my voice is to the sons of man.
- O ye simple, understand wisdom: and, ye fools, be ye of an understanding heart.
- Hear; for I will speak of excellent things; and the opening of my lips shall be right things.
- For my mouth shall speak truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
- All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them.
- They are all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that find knowledge.
- Receive my instruction, and not silver; and knowledge rather than choice gold.
- For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.
- I wisdom dwell with prudence, and find out knowledge of witty inventions.
- The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.
- Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom: I am understanding; I have strength.
- By me kings reign, and princes decree justice.
- By me princes rule, and nobles, even all the judges of the earth.
- I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.
- Riches and honour are with me; yea, durable riches and righteousness.
- My fruit is better than gold, yea, than fine gold; and my revenue than choice silver.
- I lead in the way of righteousness, in the midst of the paths of judgment:
- That I may cause those that love me to inherit substance; and I will fill their treasures.
- The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.
- I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.
- When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.
- Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:
- While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.
- When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:
- When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep:
- When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:
- Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him;
- Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights were with the sons of men.
- Now therefore hearken unto me, O ye children: for blessed are they that keep my ways.
- Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not.
- Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.
- For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the LORD.
- But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death.
Back to Top
This is a very bold statement that Solomon makes under the inspiration of God. When people hate God's wisdom, they love death. What does he mean by this? I believe that there are several possible answers.
You may click on verses for Scripture
First of all, there is a very practical application of this principle. As we look at our society today, we see that human life is considered to have little value. Much of the popularity of the television and movie industry is based upon the violent content of the films. People are routinely shown being killed, often in spectacular and bloody ways, and the consumers flock to see it. Certainly we see that our laws have diminished the value of life. Abortionists murder babies legally, and the average citizen finds nothing wrong with that. In fact, many women's organizations champion the right of a woman to destroy her baby, even after the baby has exited the womb. Why do they "love death"? Because they hate God's wisdom. Assisted suicide is acceptable practice in many areas, and the term "mercy killing" has entered our vocabulary? Why? Because men hate God's wisdom. The murder rate in America is unbelievably high. Why? Because men hate God's wisdom. And those who are convicted of killing someone are sentenced to minimal jail times. Why? Because men hate God's wisdom.
There is also a theological aspect to this. When a man rejects God's wisdom in the area of salvation, he is condemned to Hell, the "second death". Yet men refuse to come to the light of salvation because of their love for their wicked deeds. What they are really doing is choosing death over God, and that is a very foolish decision indeed.
Hatred for God and love of death go hand in hand. Remember this the next time you see Planned Parenthood or an abortion clinic. Remember it the next time you see someone advocating the "right to die" or calling for the limitation of necessary medical care (food, water, surgery) for the elderly, the comatose, or the handicapped. Death is an enemy (I Cor. 15:26), and those that befriend the enemy have rejected the Lord.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery