Pathways Through Proverbs
November 8, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 8
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- Doth not wisdom cry? and understanding put forth her voice?
- She standeth in the top of high places, by the way in the places of the paths.
- She crieth at the gates, at the entry of the city, at the coming in at the doors.
- Unto you, O men, I call; and my voice is to the sons of man.
- O ye simple, understand wisdom: and, ye fools, be ye of an understanding heart.
- Hear; for I will speak of excellent things; and the opening of my lips shall be right things.
- For my mouth shall speak truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
- All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them.
- They are all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that find knowledge.
- Receive my instruction, and not silver; and knowledge rather than choice gold.
- For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.
- I wisdom dwell with prudence, and find out knowledge of witty inventions.
- The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.
- Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom: I am understanding; I have strength.
- By me kings reign, and princes decree justice.
- By me princes rule, and nobles, even all the judges of the earth.
- I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.
- Riches and honour are with me; yea, durable riches and righteousness.
- My fruit is better than gold, yea, than fine gold; and my revenue than choice silver.
- I lead in the way of righteousness, in the midst of the paths of judgment:
- That I may cause those that love me to inherit substance; and I will fill their treasures.
- The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.
- I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.
- When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.
- Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:
- While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.
- When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:
- When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep:
- When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:
- Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him;
- Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights were with the sons of men.
- Now therefore hearken unto me, O ye children: for blessed are they that keep my ways.
- Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not.
- Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.
- For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the LORD.
- But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death.
Back to Top
Today's verse introduces a section which reveals not only the wisdom of God, but also His acts of creation. Our text says that the Lord possessed wisdom "in the beginning of his way, before His works of old." This teaches first of all the eternality of God. He existed before the creation of the universe. Verse 23 expands on this:
You may click on verses for Scripture
"I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was."
"Everlasting" refers to eternity past. Thus, God could not have had a beginning, for He possessed wisdom since everlasting, which has no beginning! In his dealing with the universe, the verse says that He possessed wisdom "from the beginning, or ever since the earth was." This refers back to Genesis 1:1 which tells us that "in the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." Thus, God is eternal, and there was a time when the material world did not exist. Evolutionary science would like us to believe that there has always been some part of the universe here in some form or another, but we know that the only One Who has existed forever is God.
Verse 26 states,
"While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world."
This also shows an important part of God's creative acts. There are some theologians who attempt to reconcile the Bible with evolutionary thought and have come up with the idea that God created the world in some form, but then allowed evolution to bring things into their current state. This verse shows the impossibility of that, for not only did God create the earth, but He also created the fields. An evolutionist would require millions of years for living grasses and flowers to appear out of some smoldering mass of rock and gas, yet the Bible says that God created them. Thus, God created plant life, just as He said in Genesis1:11-12. And if He created plant life, there is no reason to believe that He did not create human life. In fact, since we know that man was created from the dust of the ground (Genesis 2:7), it is certainly possible that mankind is "the highest part of the dust of the world" that is mentioned in Proverbs 8:26.
Evolution is completely wrong. Those who believe that God had a beginning are wrong. The Lord is eternal, and He created the heaven, the earth, and all the life that exists there.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery