Pathways Through Proverbs
November 9, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 9
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars:
- She hath killed her beasts; she hath mingled her wine; she hath also furnished her table.
- She hath sent forth her maidens: she crieth upon the highest places of the city,
- Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither: as for him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him,
- Come, eat of my bread, and drink of the wine which I have mingled.
- Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.
- He that reproveth a scorner getteth to himself shame: and he that rebuketh a wicked man getteth himself a blot.
- Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.
- Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
- The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
- For by me thy days shall be multiplied, and the years of thy life shall be increased.
- If thou be wise, thou shalt be wise for thyself: but if thou scornest, thou alone shalt bear it.
- A foolish woman is clamorous: she is simple, and knoweth nothing.
- For she sitteth at the door of her house, on a seat in the high places of the city,
- To call passengers who go right on their ways:
- Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither: and as for him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him,
- Stolen waters are sweet, and bread eaten in secret is pleasant.
- But he knoweth not that the dead are there; and that her guests are in the depths of hell.
Back to Top
As we have seen previously, this chapter deals with the struggle between following after wisdom and following after foolishness. Wisdom has called and offered the traveller wonderful things, while foolishness can only offer the pleasures of "stolen waters are sweet" (verse 17). Unfortunately, many men are duped by this siren call and forsake all that wisdom has to offer for a fling with sin. While they may have a few moments or even years of pleasantness, the end result of their foolish decision will not be to their liking.
You may click on verses for Scripture
Today's verse states that death and hell are located within the walls of the house of foolishness. Of course, the man can not see this from the outside. He sees only the attractiveness of sin. He sees only the lusts of his eyes and flesh being satisfied, but once he has entered the house he begins to realize that destruction awaits him. There are many illustrations to this. A man sees that consuming alcohol will bring him enjoyment and friends. However, once he is hooked, he realizes that all alcohol does is destroy his health, his career, and his family. Viewing inappropriate materials on the television or the Internet may bring temporary gratification, but eventually it will bring destruction to a man's mind, his marriage, and perhaps even his children. The house of foolishness is filled with the dead, and those who venture in will eventually join them.
Far worse is the fact that this house also contains the depths of Hell. Not only does a man bring physical ruin upon himself, but spiritual ruin as well. Foolish decisions destroy a man's relationship with the Lord. For the unbeliever, they may keep him from ever receiving Christ. For the Christian, they will keep him from enjoying fruitful service to the Lord and rob him of the joy and blessing that the Lord desires to give him.
Don't be deceived by the attractiveness of sin. Destruction awaits within its gates.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery